Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pre-boot screenshots

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 akaJudge

akaJudge

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:11 AM

Looking for help with equipment, software, etc. I'd like to get high-quality screenshots and possibly video of pre-boot environments in windows in order to create instruction manuals and videos for our users. Basically looking for a cost-effective way to stream to another PC and record stills and video of BIOS screens, encryption login processes, etc. I've googled extensively but I wanted some additional input before I buy any capture cards or whatever. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:51 PM

I think the best solution is to run your preferred OS in a VM like VirtualBox and record with software installed on your real system. Obviously you will not see the real BIOS screen but all other things you suggest should work.

If your machine is powerful enough (running a host OS + guest OS + recording software) this will give high quality output.

Hope this helps!  :wink:

#3 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:55 AM

Hi akaJudge,

Love the question always wondered whether that was possible, so had a think(dangerous)

I have a dual monitor set up 1. Dedicated computer monitor (DVI)  

2. Smart TV (HDMI)

The set up is mirrored and I can get the splash screen, Bios etc on both monitors,

To my thinking all you would need to do is record off the smart TV with one of its many outputs (whilst still having control of your comp and a preview monitor)

Just a thought (haven't tried)

Hedge 

#4 akaJudge

akaJudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:38 PM

I think the best solution is to run your preferred OS in a VM like VirtualBox and record with software installed on your real system. Obviously you will not see the real BIOS screen but all other things you suggest should work.

If your machine is powerful enough (running a host OS + guest OS + recording software) this will give high quality output.

Hope this helps!  :wink:

One of the things I want to make is an instruction manual for my techs so I would need the actual BIOS we use, which is why I discounted the VM idea :( Thanks, though!

hedgely, we ordered a capture device that will work pretty much as you describe, I'll see if it foots the bill after it arrives.

#5 akaJudge

akaJudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:02 AM

we got an Elgato Capture HD but it won't capture the preboot environment. I don't understand why this is so hard! If the data can be sent to a vga monitor I don't understand why I can't capture it somehow :(  Still looking for help!

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:16 AM

Hi akaJudge,

Love the question always wondered whether that was possible, so had a think(dangerous)

I have a dual monitor set up 1. Dedicated computer monitor (DVI)  

2. Smart TV (HDMI)

The set up is mirrored and I can get the splash screen, Bios etc on both monitors,

To my thinking all you would need to do is record off the smart TV with one of its many outputs (whilst still having control of your comp and a preview monitor)

Just a thought (haven't tried)

Hedge 

There has never been a television that can output video. Since it is illegal, there are no television manufacturers that will make one. But you can use the output of one computer to feed into the input of another computer that is suitably set up with DVR capture software. It is simple enough but requires two separate computers and some expensive software.

I got all this on a quick 20 minute Google search.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:59 AM

@ Rocky Bennett,

Your'e right  I was thinking VHS, but off course that was the Arial  :wacko:  

@ akaJudge

I don't know if this will help,but seeing as you already have a capture card