Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-installed Mint

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:36 AM

I re-installed Mint 17.3 cinnamon rosa this morning.

This time I opted to a clean install did not save nothing. Once I chose that option and set my date/time location I did not touch the computer again until it was finished and was asked to reboot. Which I did.

The install took almost twice as long so I may have messed up in the origional install.

While it did reboot faster by wipeing everything I will now have to go back thru my posts. For one John2c21 post on installing

open DNS so I can get back to my bank again.lol

May have out smarted myself once again.  Hopefully my driver issues may be gone.

Thanks all.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:50 AM

Some observations.  This time there was no option scree/window to choose a different desktop like KDE.Ubunto, Mate etc. Only cinnamon.

Of course the first thing the Update manager wanted to do was install a boatload of updates. That took over a hour and a half but fairly normal I would think.

I do not like useing the lock screen or a screen saver, or allow my screen to turn off automaticaly so I will need to look into that.  Otherwise so far so good but then it has been only a few hours.

Later guys and gals

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:51 AM

Good to hear. Hope it works for you and please don't go "experimenting" on your own. :hysterical: :thumbup2:

Don't forget to make a back-up now before anything gets "customized".

Wiz has a post on here about TimeShift that should help you out.

Edited by raw, 19 April 2016 - 11:54 AM.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:48 PM

There is a rule that keeps you out of trouble - Don't fool around with something if you don't know what it does.  Applies to Windows too.  If you must fool around, then research, research, research first.  If you still need more information, ask.

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:44 PM

I guess JohnC_21's work around for my dns servers will not work again.  I followed every one of his posted steps but the changes will not apply.

Guess On-line banking may be gone for good for me.  This did work before so I am not trying something new.

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:58 PM

Dns resolved, no idea why 3 prior failuers the last a success. Entered all the same info in the same places only this time it worked.

I think I need an exorsist instead of a computer guru.lol

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:53 PM

That is WONDERFUL news, Port Arthur one :guitar: :thumbup2:  - you must be relieved about the banking as well.

Wiz has a post on here about TimeShift that should help you out.

Raw is a little ahead of me, I am working on a Timeshift tute at the moment may have it up by the weekend, subject to commitments. It will help you if you ever need to reinstall, and for other purposes as well.

Don't forget to enter Terminal and type and enter

sudo ufw enable

to activate your Firewall.

If and when you are up to it, you mentioned in another Topic that your installation DVD, purchased from OS disc.com, had a mint iso on it?

I'd like to see you run a hash check on that .iso to compare it against the standard, or else we may have more of the same problems arise.

First up, the .iso you should have is named

linuxmint-17.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso

If yours differs, or even if not, let us know?

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:12 PM

Banking for most people is not an issue but I do not walk so good without assistance and neither the wife and I are supposed to drive anymore.

My vision has deteriorated to just above legally blind. 3miles to the closest branch of my bank so paying certain bills on line has become a near necessity.

Port Arthur is not real big in population but it is spread all over the place. lol

Sorry totally off topic and unnecessary.

Browseing the dvd there is a file labled linux mint iso but I do not know if it is a iso

Edited by dannyboy950, 19 April 2016 - 07:06 PM.

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:22 PM

@dannyboy950:

My vision has deteriorated to just above legally blind.

If I appear to be venturing a little off-topic here, it is only for this Post, and in response to your revelation above, combined with raw's reference to Timeshift.

Some information on both which may be of use to you, can be found at my Topic here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/570703/linux-for-the-visually-challenged/

IMHO the 7 pages is well worth the read for someone with a visual challenge, but you can also fast-track to -

1. The "Control-Plus-Combo" for enhanced browser experience in Firefox and Chromium, here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/570703/linux-for-the-visually-challenged/?p=3669235  and
  2. Useful information on Timeshift and Aptik, here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/570703/linux-for-the-visually-challenged/?p=3697570

Whilst you should almost certainly continue on your path with Linux Mint to get acquainted with it for now, if at an appropriate time, you wish to include another Linux Distro to your repertoire, you might almost certainly wish to try Vinux.

Member 1002 Richard S refers to it on page 1 of my Topic, here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/570703/linux-for-the-visually-challenged/?p=3662495

I have it on my Toshiba, and am preparing a long overdue Review on it. Here are two screenshots, first of my desktop (I have the wallpaper on a slideshow, it changes), and the other of my using Gnome Screenshot to take a screenshot of me taking a screenshot, if you follow me.

CBLtIUO.png

Only two icons on the desktop are standard, the rest are my devices/drives

AND

la5B1Hh.png

Vinux also features the Orca screenreader, which I can show you how to shut off if/when it becomes annoying.

Any questions on these matters should be directed to me at the appropriate Topic/s, or else start one and I will swing by.

Cheers and thanks all for the momentary diversion!

Enjoy Linux - I do

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW - @OP - if you can spin your head 180 degrees, you need an exorcist, lol.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:11 AM

Some observations.  This time there was no option scree/window to choose a different desktop like KDE.Ubunto, Mate etc. Only cinnamon.

That's because Linux Mint has a separate ISO for each, as listed on their download page. Should you ever need to reinstall again, download the media of your choice from below link. 

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

In close to 7 years, have never been given the options you describe above, though have seen a small tab to the right of my username that may allow one to temporarily switch desktop editions/environment, commonly known on forums as a 'DE'. It's not a substitute for a permanent install with the proper media for the edition one desires, the links provided above are for that & everything will be pre-compiled & optimized for the one wanted. Since I install for others, keep the MATE, Cinnamon & Xfce editions on hand. 

I don't bother with Debian nor KDE, because it's not only harder for me to run, just think about the newbie who has never ran Linux Mint. My desire is to gain & retain Linux users, not scare them off, and only break out the Cinnamon DVD on request, am trying to learn it myself. It's usable. but don't like how the desktop flies out at me when logging on (this has been a constant since initial release), would prefer for it just to be there, like with MATE & Xfce. And am positive that most of the seniors/disabled I install for feels the same way. 

Hope that this install goes a lot better than the last! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:57 AM

@cat1092:

Hard to keep track I know, but the OP was using a DVD+/-RW (yes) purchased from OS disk.com to install. He was initially offered a choice of Desktops and chose Cinnamon, is that so, dannyboy?

That is why I said here

I'd like to see you run a hash check on that .iso to compare it against the standard, or else we may have more of the same problems arise.

... but we have yet to finalise that.

It is also why I have/had concerns about the OP reinstalling using the same media until that can be confirmed.

In that regard, I have suspicions a Tainted Kernel may be involved (which can be established easily enough) which could account for his problems with the printer, the Driver Manager, difficulties in logging in (password) &c.

:wizardball: Wizard

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:28 AM

If that's so (not saying it isn't), then Linux Mint should simply offer an AIO download that will allow the version one wants. 

Kind of like my Windows 7 64 bit AIO DVD, provided the proper license key for the selected OS matches, can install any version, there's another that has all of the 32 & 64 bit versions in one ISO. This is a legit workaround for when retail ISO's or DVD's won't activate an OEM, Upgrade or Refurbished PC COA, the AIO handles all, just by one simple mod. 

All Linux distros should be releasing these, if more than one version is offered, to select version at time of install. If OSDisc is doing this, then they've modified the ISO to give the user the choice of version to install, though can't be including Ubuntu as dannyboy stated, nor Debian, like Ubuntu, it's entirely different. Will need to research this Mint AIO install media, there would have to be a published workaround (or one available for download). 

OSDisc is only sharing a third of the profits with Linux Mint, which can reduce any donation to Mint big time, to probably less than $1 per DVD. While I donate to Linux Mint, only do so by the provided link, not by purchasing things where only a fraction of the proceeds goes to the distro. 

It would seem that Linux Mint would offer a 4 OS combined ISO (Cinnamon, KDE, MATE & Xfce) if that's the way they wanted it to be distributed. By a 3rd party doing this on their behalf, may be altering key important files, which may affect performance, operation & other aspects of the OS. OSDisc.com is a 'jack of all trades' operation, with no promise that all of their Linux based tools are the latest available. May as well purchase on eBay. 

https://www.osdisc.com/

At any rate, it would be a total waste of cash to purchase now, with Ubuntu & all of it's derivatives soon getting an upgrade, it'll be another 2-3 months before Mint 18 ships, and longer with KDE/Xfce, as both of these are not under the control of Ubuntu nor Canonical. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:43 AM

At this point in time I am not going to rock the boat too much lol  I will run what I already have installed will do.

I will however sometime today try to reinstall my Kodak printer and drivers before I go pick up that Canon which is supposed to be in today [yes I reordered it too good a price to pass up].

For reference that option screen I think was only a choice of desktop to use not a full ISO option.  The reason I purchased that DVD was I had so many failed attempts for some reason to burn a ISO on here, DVD, USB didn't matter it would just fail to burn. Differing error messages but still a failed burn.

After things have settled in a bit I will check the hash. The  wizard may be right that media may be corrupted or altered, the hash should tell the story.

Gotta go for now.

Edited by dannyboy950, 20 April 2016 - 07:44 AM.

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:54 AM

Pleased to see you reinstalled Mint successfully. :)

I will however sometime today try to reinstall my Kodak printer and drivers

I don't recall what happened last time but do recall that you had some problems. In most instances it's easier, and advisable, to use drivers that come with the OS, or that are downloaded by the OS. It's usually just a matter of selecting "Add Printer" then following the prompts. If you can't find a driver for your exact printer, choose the next one "down." For example, I use a driver for an Epson 4850 printer, even though my printer is an Epson 5000.

Only when the above methods are exhausted, would I advise manually downloading drivers from websites and installing them manually. Please let us know if you are going to go down this road.

Edited by Al1000, 20 April 2016 - 07:57 AM.

#15 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:18 AM

Thank you Al1000 others have also suggested to maybe try installing the Kodak drivers from kodak. Not a can of worms I care to open right now lol.

I did research the possibility, found a 44 page PDF of just instructions on how to do this, just instructions. Drivers are on another page.

I did install the linux drivers without issue but the printer still will not print from the PC.  The print job still hangs in the print que.

I have some logs but no real idea where to send them.  Kodak North America still says they do not support Linux.  So I called them and mentioned that their Asian market does support Linux.  They said which Asain market?  We are unaware of that. I was speechless for almost a minute. lol

More later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users