Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fiber Install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lleez

lleez

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:26 AM

I am having a router for fiber installed in finished basement utility room where the phone line comes in.  I will be switching over to voip phone and canceling Centurylink.  I'm going to be porting my number over, so I don't want to cancel Centurylink until the install.  

My question is, the phone line uses cat 5 or cat 5e and I'm just going to use that to get a wired connection into my master bedroom, but leaving the router ap in basement for wireless.

Will they be able to use that phone line while it's still on Centurylink?  Again, I don't want to cancel the line until it's ported.  Will my new service provider need to do the port in advance from their location, and then I'll cancel and go a couple days w/out home phone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:37 AM

put in cat5e or cat6.  phone only uses one pair out of four

your new service provider needs to do the port.  talk to them about the particulars

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:42 AM

You have another open thread where you got 2 replies... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611333/1-gb-fiber-optic-internet-install/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users