Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need to find a compatible hard drive for my motherboard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 anniyan

anniyan

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:15 AM

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
i have a
HP Pavilion dv6t-6c00 CTO Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC [model number: A1U59AV]
with 2nd-gen-intel-core-i7 processor [ http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-6c00-Quad-Edition-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5214356/model/5214358 ]

my hard disk shows short DST failure. i have extracted the data somehow. windows is not booting now. i need to replace the faulty HDD with a new one compatible with my motherboard. what is the maximum capacity, interface, speed, etc., blah, blah, of an internal hard disk supported by this configuration? and the corresponding OS' version, edition, architecture. please elaborate all these in detail in layman's words coz i am no hardware expert.can i buy a HDD with 1TB, 7200 RPM, SATA 6.0 Gbps, 64MB-cache ? will that suit my motherboard? unfortunately, i dont know what motherboard, the laptop came with. can anyone please help me choose the right HDD ? EXPERT answers are most welcome and more than that. thanks in advance :)

Edited by anniyan, 19 April 2016 - 10:19 AM.

Become a BleepingComputer fan on Facebook
Have you seen.....Select Real Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:07 AM

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03099531

Serial ATA

Supports 6.35-cm  (2.5-in) hard drives in 12.7-mm (.50-in), 9.5-mm (.37-in), and 7.0-mm  (.28-in) thickness

So 2.5 inch HDD (or SSD) with normal Serial ATA connector should fit. What you said above seems to be 3.5 inch unit. Manual says upto 1GB is supported but 2.5 inch hard drives larger than that are very rare. And over 1TB SSD's are very expensive. Manual says about 160GB SSD maximum but that's probably just what spare parts are available.

#3 anniyan

anniyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:10 PM

@drillingmachine,

sir, my question was not about the form-factor. it was about the SATA speed.

please refer to the following discussion:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/need-to-find-a-compatible-hard-drive-for-my-motherboard/m-p/5592931

this is my laptop's manual:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03099531
(rename it to pdf format)

the gist is:
1. i dont know my motherboard model
2. i dont know if my motherboard has SATA I or SATA II or SATA III
3. i wanna replace my faulty HDD with a new one. what should i get? a SATA III HDD or SATA II HDD such that the HDD's speed should not be capped by the motherboard's SATA connection. (coz i dont wanna waste a extra 1000 INR on a SATA III HDD if it will work at only SATA II speed). forgive me if my knowledge on this is poor :(  thanks in advance :)

Become a BleepingComputer fan on Facebook
Have you seen.....Select Real Security

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:38 PM

I would not worry about SATA speed, if this were a  SATA III device it is indeed backwards compatible to SATA II so no worries there.

The limitations of the Mobo would not reflect the higher speeds, it will still probably be able to use the new hard drive regardless.

A standard laptop hard drive should suffice with 1GB of HDD space

Your laptop isnt that old so I would not worry about bottle necking or incompatibility.

It should just work

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users