Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC keeps resetting after new SSD hard drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Konmacro

Konmacro

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:30 AM

Hi, last friday I bought a new SSD hard drive (Mushkin Triactor 480GB) and yesterday I put it on my computer, after installing windows (10), updates, graphic card drivers and most necessary programs (same way that I did with my old HDD hard drive) it kept resetting moments after I would boot the computer. It does boot really fast and reach windows but doesn't last long.. it resets and then does disk checking and so on..

This happened to me once before with my old hard drive when my ram was crappy but when I replaced it with new one it stopped, it's NOT the ram and it's not the cables connectivity this time. Right now I reconnected my old HDD drive and there have been no resets. Could the new SSD be faulty?

My specs are:
AMD FX 8320 8core @3,5ghz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 Ti GDDR5 128bit
Kingston 8GB (single) RAM DDR3 1600mhz 
Windows 10 pro 64bit
My PSU is 750 watt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:59 AM

Try Cloning the Old drive that you say has no issues - to  the SSD.

Use { I Prefer } MiniTool Partition Wizard or Aoemi Backupper - Select all partitions and Clone to the SSD.

Swap out Drives and Reboot.

If that still fails it may be the SSD , but i doubt it.

Edited by Havachat, 19 April 2016 - 04:01 AM.

#3 Konmacro

Konmacro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:41 AM

What do you mean clone it? How do I do that?

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:38 AM

Cloning is copying one Hard Drives content and partitions to another Hard Drive eg SSD - An exact Copy.

Then swap the Drives out and Bootup.

You Can have a look at this video    

to give you a understanding of what happens.

My only issue with his method is that if you have a Recovery Partition also,  i would select that to.

Personally if the old Drive has 3 Partitions eg you would select all of them and clone to the SSD.

It depends on your setup initially , the old drives used size and SSD Size to accomodate that.

I prefer Mini Tool Wizard to do Cloning - Instructions are here http://www.minitool-drivecopy.com/drive-copy/disk-cloning.html

i just select all partitions on existing drive - and clone to SSD  , swap drives out and reboot ...Done.

Either way what ever method you use , you will always have the Old Drive as it is { Do a Backup of any files incase you make a Mistake or unsure.}

Others may have different views , so dont rush in to it , plan ahead ,  or follow other methods.

Ive done quite a few with MiniTool Partiton Magic , and it has never failed me. 

Edited by Havachat, 20 April 2016 - 03:39 AM.

#5 Konmacro

Konmacro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:18 AM

But there's a lot of crap on the HDD that I don't want to contaminate my SSD with.. won't that be a problem?

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:58 AM

But there's a lot of crap on the HDD that I don't want to contaminate my SSD with.. won't that be a problem?

If thats your worry ? cleanup / decrap the HDD Drive up before you Clone.

I would leave it as it is and just see if you can Clone to the SSD and boot from it , if all goes well then do a cleanup.

If not ? the possibility is that the SSD may be faulty , so replace it / return vendor.

But you wont know until you try , or run tests on the SSD.

#7 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:38 AM

Can you please post in BSOD section?

I believe you have some driver or previously installed AV program causing the reboots.

If you are able to perform clean installation of Windows 10 I will amend to do so.

If you need guidance with for Windows 10 installation please let me know.

Many thanks,
Andy 

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:00 PM

There is no need to repost in the BSOD forum.  The topic relates to whether or not OP has a failing hard drive, if I read correctly.

1.  Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

2.  Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.  

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 April 2016 - 07:03 PM.

#9 Konmacro

Konmacro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:59 AM

Ok so I had an older post thinking that the resets were because of the hard drive, seems like that's not the case. I bought a new one (Samsung 850 SSD 250gb) and it's still doing it, also some things I have noticed:

-Resets started happening on the old hard drive as well
-They happen on both win 10 (64bit pro) and win 7 (64bit ultimate) so I'm assuming it's not the OS.

-My RAM stick was new but I tried sticking it to the alternative spots, making sure it's in there properly AND replaced it with another RAM stick (also tried in multiple positions) which seemed to have fixed the problem but it didn't, because after a few hours same stuff happened (the other RAM was 4gb ddr3 1600mhz instead of 8gb)

-I turned off "Automatic Restart on System Failure" from System, it still keeps happening (no BSOD)

-Sometimes the computer will restart instead of shutting down when I click Shut down (if it stays on long enough and lets me do that)

-There is no overheating and there's no dust build up currently

-I am currently in Safe Mode with Networking, it has not reset so far (about 2 hours) but if I try to boot normally it resets a few seconds after it fully boots

That's all I know for now, if anything else happens or remember something I forgot I'll post it here ASAP

My specs are:
AMD FX 8320 8core @3,52ghz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 Ti GDDR5 128bit
8 or 4GB (single) RAM DDR3 1600mhz 
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
My PSU is 750 watt

#10 Konmacro

Konmacro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:59 AM

Guys can you please check out my new post about this, thank you. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612693/pc-keeps-resetting-still-read-new-description-please/

Mod Edit:  Merged topics. Post #9 above is what OP references - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 01 May 2016 - 09:59 AM.

#11 Konmacro

Konmacro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:03 AM

bump

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts