Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidental Xp Setup Over A Good Semi Working Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tired & Confused

Tired & Confused

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 02:12 AM

Hello, Im in a pickle just now, our original XP Pro was working ok, then I allowed our daughters boyfriend to operate on the PC, :thumbsup: he removed heeps of software without my permission and also accessed the registery. :flowers:
(He said he looked after his employers setup and several other systems). :)

The PC became wonky (slower) but still worked, then last week (about 6months after its 1st operation) it just would not shutdown.
We could restart it, but not before the scandisk chkdsk screen, then even that would not work. :inlove:

This good chap said I needed to do a repair or repair setup to windows XP, he gave me a XP cd and said, this will do it, press F8 at the correct screen and allow it to do a repair only. :P

I saw it do all this, then a screen poped up asking for the KEY, I typed in the original XP Pro KEY and it came back stating that that was not the correct key. :trumpet:

So I rang my "so-called-tech " and he gave me a KEY. :cool:
After typing it in, the helpful voice on the phone said "you wont be going on the net will you?". An alarm bell went off in my head at this, then the computer poped up a message saying I have a pirated XP setup. Oh Ohhh I thought, but it was too late. :)

I freeked out, I thought my XP Pro was going to be repaired, not replaced by a pirated copy of XP, grrrrr
Now I cannot do a thing with it, the screen locks on this pirated screen. :)

So I guess Im asking is there any possible way to gain access to my original good registered XP Pro setup without formatting my HD, is there a way to recover from this disasterious sceranio. I could once get updates now I carnt do a thing.

Oh yes, the mouse pointer stopped working in the middle of the "repair"

Is there a way to get into windows or the Hard Drive and purge out the new XP and leave my original KP working. Can this be done in DOS? it is not NTFS format. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:59 AM

If you didn't get a Restore cd or a Windows installation cd with the computer there may be a hidden restore partition on the hard drive if your computer is from a major manufacturer.

Boot the system and look at the screen for instructions on how to enter the Restore partition. If you are successful that will restore your Windows installation to exactly how it was when the computer was new. You will have to reinstall all programs that did not come preloaded and all your data will be lost - so back it up first.
You must also disconnect all peripherals except a PS2 mouse, keyboard and the monitor including the internet connection if you have broadband.

Look at the bottom of the screen when the computer boots before it enters Windows. (It may be F12 or may be another key you press).

If all else fails the manufacturer of your computer may sell you the proper Windows XP CD that will work with your key, or a Restore disk.

#3 Tired & Confused

Tired & Confused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:52 PM

Thank you Enthusiast for your reply, :thumbsup: yes, I have tried that, no luck with the hidden partition, this PC was from an estate. It looks like we will have to get the CD to install XP, but we are on a pension, so it will be a long time before we can do that. :flowers:

I have removed the HD with the intension to copy our programs onto another HD and start again, in the meen time I have installed WinME so we can still get our Emails, siiii. :trumpet: but as of last month, MS have stopped making support files-Updates, so Ill just have have to rely on BigFix.

OK, thanks Enthusiast, I was hoping against the odds that there was a program that could sought this mess out for me, might you point me to a web address that has a list of all the files that XP uses in setting itself up? I heard there are about 1500 files, is that true? :inlove: I would love to make a BATch file to make a backup CD, a bit late for that now.

Regards

By the way, would it be ok, to ask you to allow, if anyone who might like to help me out, to send me a XP setup CD that has not been used and has a valid KEY? If that is ok, my postal address is below. If not, then In understand.

I have a, PO Box 54. In Warra. Queensland. Australia. postcode 4411. :cool:

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:34 AM

You may be able to obtain a Windows XP installation disk or a manufacturer's restore disk (if the computer originally came with Windows XP) from the computer manufacturer for a small fee. I would suggest calling support at the manufacturer of the computer.

If not, the only solution is to purchase a full installation Windows XP version which will come with a COA and the 25 digit key number (which will be good only for that disk and only an installation on one computer.

If the computer manufacturer cannot help (if XP was not the original op system installed on the computer) I would recommend you purchase a retail full installation version from an authorized Microsoft dealer only as you might have problems with authentication using an OEM version on a computer manufactured by a different manufacturer. DO NOT BUY A USED COPY OR BUY FROM ANY PLACE THAT IS NOT AN AUTHORIZED MICROSOFT RESELLER such as Ebay, etc.

If you know the original 25 digit key number and if it was a legitimate key that was authenticated on YOUR compuuter you also may be able to obtain a replacement disk from Microsoft, again for a fee, but I would try the manufacturer of the computer first.

Edited by Enthusiast, 07 August 2006 - 09:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users