Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB not showing up in file explorer or Computer Management but can be seen in de

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rastus22

Rastus22

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:23 PM

Hey,
So I recently got a 64 gb usb drive which has been working until very recently. Last night I tried to use it to install Ubuntu on a separate computer and after I was finished I plugged it back into my desktop, formatted it and cleaned it using Diskpart. Straight after that it wouldn't appear in anywhere except for the device manager which showed an error saying it needed a driver. The drive works on all other computers I have tried plugging it into.
The drive does not appear in computer management, diskpart or file explorer.

TL DR
Previously working usb drive only shows up in device manager which is complaining about not having a driver.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

P.S The computer does chime when plugging in the drive. 
I don't have anything important on the drive so I have no problem if any solutions require it to be wiped.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:47 PM

If you are going to install Ubuntu off the flash drive I would use Rufus with the Ubuntu iso file. I am not sure if you can format a 64GB flash drive as Fat32 in Rufus. If it fails then select NTFS in the dropdown box. Use MBR with BIOS or UEFI for a partition scheme. 

If Rufus does not detect your flash drive in the first box I would try deleting any existing partitions and creating a new partition formatted to NTFS using Partition Wizard. I would select Primary Partition instead of Extended in the dropdown box. This should allow Rufus to detect the USB and create the bootable iso of Ubuntu.

All steps in Partition Wizard are virtual and do not complete until Apply is clicked. I would use Rufus with the 

#3 Rastus22

Rastus22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, but, installing ubuntu was not the issue, and was only included because that was the last thing I did with my usb before it wouldn't work on my desktop.
My issue is that my USB cannot be found on my desktop in file explorer or the partition manager. Only in the device manager which states it is missing drivers.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:31 PM

Drivers for USB flash drives are included in the device and are plug and play. Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to the device in Device Manager? If so right click, select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and post the first line.

Are other USB flash drives recognized? What OS are you using?

Edit: Have you tried rebooting and using another USB port? What is the make of the USB flash drive?

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 April 2016 - 04:33 PM.

#5 Rastus22

Rastus22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:14 AM

Drivers for USB flash drives are included in the device and are plug and play. Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to the device in Device Manager? If so right click, select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and post the first line.

Are other USB flash drives recognized? What OS are you using?

Edit: Have you tried rebooting and using another USB port? What is the make of the USB flash drive?

USB ID is USB\Vid_p00n&Pid_p00n

Running windows 10 and my sisters drive which is the exact same (Size brand, etc)  works fine on my computer.
I am about to reboot to see if that fixes it.

#6 Rastus22

Rastus22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:22 AM

Well then...

I feel like a bit of an idiot.

Works fine after a reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic