Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly Keyboard Issues

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SnwDvl76

SnwDvl76

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:17 AM

Taken from my post on another forum

We are suddenly seeing a rash of PC's where the USB, or wireless, keyboards stop working properly, and seemingly out of nowhere. The mouse still works, but the keyboard stops responding after any one key is pressed. Turn the machine off, plug in a PS2 kb, and all is well. Start the PC in Safe Mode, and, again, all is well. We have seen this in no less than a dozen of our clients' computers, starting this week. The only common factor seems to be Windows. 
I've tried upgrading the Windows 7 machines to Windows 10, but that hasn't directly solved the problem in any of these cases. However, if I do the upgrade, then reset the computer everything seems to work again. We are stumped, and hoping someone else has some insight here...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:31 AM

Have you looked in the Device Manager under keyboards to see if there is yellow warning icon or a red error icon?

I'm guessing that all of these computer are sharing a network?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 SnwDvl76

SnwDvl76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 12:33 PM

Yes, sir, I've checked device manager, and it's not reporting any problems. We (we're a small computer repair shop) haven't been able to find any rhyme or reason for this happening, so far. I've finally made this post and one on another forum out of desperation..

As far as sharing a network, none of the computers I've seen this issue in shared a network before they were brought to our shop. We have had at least 10 PCs in for this problem, and it all seems to have started on or around last Monday.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 12:58 PM

Are all of these computer owned by different clients?

Did their problems start about the same time?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 SnwDvl76

SnwDvl76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:01 PM

Yes, all computers I've seen this on have been owned by different clients, and they have all been within the last week. I was hoping there was just a bad Windows update I could uninstall, but I haven't been able to find any relevant information anywhere, so far.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 02:44 PM

A bad update would have been my guess as well since the same problem is happening with all of these computers.

Are you getting any error messages?

#7 SnwDvl76

SnwDvl76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:08 PM

No, sir, there are no errors. 

It almost has to be a bad update, doesn't it? Since doing the Win10 "Reset this PC" fixes the issue without fail..? 

#8 tryturningitonandoff

tryturningitonandoff

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:36 PM

Yes! This! Argh!

This happened to one of our office computers last Wednesday. BIOS sees the keyboard and I can ping it, but as soon as i get to windows, no joy. I'm totally locked out because I can't ctrl alt del with the ease of access keyboard, and who's brilliant idea was that, i'd like to send 'em a postcard. Anyway, one of my coworkers has a PS2 keyboard at home she's going to bring it in tomorrow to see if it will recognize it. I did post on another forum, and received an answer that the issue was a utility called hitman pro, some sort of virus or malware protection, i guess, or with a name like that, i guess it's more of a hope. Anyway the guy on the forum said this utility suddenly caused all the usb keyboards to go bye-bye and if you uninstalled it you were golden. When I finally got our IT guy to call me back he said he'd never installed such a creature, but i have to take his word for that as i'm currently locked out. I was going to attempt to repair from F8 and hoped i would be able to roll it back to before this nonsense, but the IT guy has the admin passcode and seemed very vague on just what it was. That's lovely, could ya maybe find it, i tell him, but i don't feel he's overly concerned. Either He's an idiot or we really underpay him. It's almost certainly the latter.

Would a repair from the boot screen allow me to roll back in a controlled manner? I think i've done it before, but it was many moons ago in an epic virus battle, and i've purged it from my memory for the sake of my own sanity.

#9 SnwDvl76

SnwDvl76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:23 PM

We use Hitman as part of our malware cleanup sometimes, so that could well be it... I haven't made note of how many of these machines have had Hitman or Hitman alert I stalled on them, but I have seen at least Hitman alert on a couple of them. I'll test that in the morning.
As for fixing this problem from the F8 repair menu, I've tried that, and it didn't help.

Edited by SnwDvl76, 19 April 2016 - 07:31 AM.

#10 SnwDvl76

SnwDvl76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:38 AM

Can confirm: Uninstalled HitmanPro.Alert, keyboard works like a charm. I think this little exercise just pushed me past the breaking point with Hitman products. We have used Hitman Pro as part of our virus cleanup routine for several years, and lately it has gotten where the program finds lots of things, but when you tell it to do its cleanup, if the object it found is anything more serious than a tracking cookie, it fails to delete it... another 10 minutes wasted. So, I'll go ahead & remove these products from my regimen.

Thanks, tryturningitonandoff, for your post!

#11 tryturningitonandoff

tryturningitonandoff

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:04 AM

Sigh. Also, the four letter word I really used was not "sigh".

So I plugged in the PS2 and it saw it! "Fixed!" I declared to the office, and moved the restored the computer to it's grateful worker only to boot and have it now not recognizing the PS2. When I did have it up, I looked for Hitman anything and didn't see it. Is it under a software name that is different? 

#12 tryturningitonandoff

tryturningitonandoff

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:03 AM

Can such a program be removed or manipulated via command prompt through the recovery console? I'm grasping at straws here, but there has got to be some backdoor in to take care of this. Without My boss spending 500 bucks for windows ten. Any advice is heartily appreciated.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:11 AM

SneDvl76

What version of Hitman Pro are you running?

#14 SnwDvl76

SnwDvl76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:19 AM

@tryturningitonandoff

It should only be listed as either HitmanPro.Alert or HitmanPro, but if you're not running as an administrator you probably won't be able to uninstall it even if you do find it. 

@dc3

The installer I use says it's v3.7.13, but I'm pretty sure it auto-updates as part of the installation.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:33 AM

erikloman is the author of Hitman Pro Alert.  There is a article he initiated regarding this product which was post here at Bleeping Computer about a year ago.  The link below takes you to a post that may be enlightening.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/513182/hitmanproalert-cryptoguard-prevents-files-from-being-taken-hostage/page-9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users