Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting Over And Over

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MollyBaloney

MollyBaloney

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:43 AM

don't know if this is window's related or hardware....

I've posted about it before...and I'm still trying to figure it out.

I'm working on my daughter's computer...it's a Compaq Presario S4020WM with windows xp home edition. It kept restarting windows. I couldn't figure out anything so I did a full system recovery. Now it will start loading windows then restart, then restart...well...you get the picture. I don't know enough about computers to know if it may be the hard drive...or maybe the recovery partition is corrupt. I have the recovery disks. I tried to restore with those but when I put them in the cd drive they don't load in. I went into bios to change the boot order...it only shows the cd rom and dvd drive...doesn't show the hard drive at all...???

and it still won't work....

Can anyone help?

Molly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:57 AM

It sounds like a damaged motherboard. Possibly a bad capacitor. Next to the processor are several cylinders shaped items. They should be straight on the sides and flat on the top. Also is they are bad they may have a brown liquid leaking out of them.

Edited by acklan, 05 August 2006 - 12:57 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:06 AM

Try booting into safe mode and choose "Last known good configuration".

If that isn't successful, try safe mode with command prompt:

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.
2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:47 AM

Try disabling auto re-boot.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Start-up and Recovery section, click Settings
4. Under System Failure uncheck "Automatically restart"

This may allow you to diagnose the problem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 MollyBaloney

MollyBaloney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:59 AM

I've already cleaned off the C drive. I did full system recovery. Several times. when it goes to restart..it keeps restarting over and over. One time it loaded in and began the questions to setup. When it asked if I could hear the music I clicked yes and it restarted again.

The capacitors look just like you described. No brown..flat on top...look just like they should. I don't think that's a problem.

I wonder could there be a connection lose or unhooked...since the hard drive doesn't show up in the bios. There are connectors hanging in the case but I have no idea where they go. There is a long one hanging from the hard drive with a 4 pin (small and flat) connector on it. Is that supposed to go somewhere?

Thanks,
Molly

#6 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:16 AM

I wonder could there be a connection lose or unhooked...since the hard drive doesn't show up in the bios. There are connectors hanging in the case but I have no idea where they go. There is a long one hanging from the hard drive with a 4 pin (small and flat) connector on it. Is that supposed to go somewhere?

Thanks,
Molly

Hi ... It could be, The 4 pin connector is for the power for your hard drive , If you don't see it connected on your hard drive ? You need to do so but before you do ? Make sure the computer is off and afterward unplug the power cable from the back of unit , Once that is off wait about 20 seconds to attach the 4 pin power connector to your hard drive , Once you have connected the 4 pin power cable onto your hard drive ? Then try to start up your computer , See if that help

Edited by snooker, 05 August 2006 - 10:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users