Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is your opinion on the Anti-Malware tool Norton Power Eraser?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:13 AM

Hi all!

I am always looking for new Anti-Malware tools to try in order to clean my computer for malware, given that every said tool has its own different database and as such will yield different results.

(I have the habit of backing up my registry and creating a restore point before every anti-malware tool that I am running, just in case.)

So now, I am wondering; What is your opinion on the Anti-Malware tool Norton Power Eraser?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 19 April 2016 - 05:28 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:24 AM

I personally believe that you are running an overkill setup right now. Adding one more tool to your personal check-up list won't do anything to be honest.

I usually never run standalone Antimalware unless I suspect I'm infected with something. There's no need to run them daily, weekly or even monthly if you don't suspect that you are infected.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:17 PM

Norton Power Eraser is specially designed to detect and eliminate malware threats using aggressive methods. As such, Norton warns there is a risk that it can select some legitimate programs for removal so you should carefully review the scan results page before removing files. In the past Symantec even advised Norton Power Eraser was more of a tool of last resort...I have never seen the need to use it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:10 AM

Hi, Aura & quietman7!

Thank you both for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

As it happens, I was actually not experiencing any symptoms of malware infection whatsoever, and running all the AM-tools in my signature of course takes a significant amount of time, however I only do this seldomly in order to find out what might have slipped through my real-time security setup. :busy:

In fact I have eliminated several malware threats lately, which means three types to be exact; an adware/browser hijacker, a PUP and a JavaScript. :thumbsup:

I suppose the term 'aggressive methods' refers to heuristics, which causes a higher amount of FPs, nonetheless nothing noticeably more than other similar tools.

Moreover, I already carefully review every AM-tools' scan results page before removing anything, and if need be I also upload suspicious files to VirusTotal and others. Otherwise, I keep everything that I am unsure of (mostly FPs).

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 20 April 2016 - 06:35 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

midimusicman79, you appear to have a keen interest in antivirus and antimalware tools.  If so, I would advise you to educate yourself in how to keep yourself safe instead of cluttering your system with a whole bunch of tools.  There is nothing more effective against malware than practising safe computing habits.  If you haven't as yet, I would recommend that you take the time to read quietman7's thread...

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:41 AM

Hi, Agouti!

Thanks, but I have already read this article. :thumbup2: And I also practice safe computing habits. :wink:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 19 April 2016 - 05:34 PM.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:48 AM

I am always looking for new Anti-Malware tools to try in order to clean my computer for malware, given that every said tool has its own different database and as such will yield different results.

Thanks, but I have already read this article. :thumbup2: And I also practise safe computing habits. :wink:

If so, then it shouldn't be necessary to always be looking for new tools.  Aren't you sure about yourself when you practice safe computing?

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:55 PM

Hi again, Agouti!

Well, to be clear: I did this once on my previous computer, which ran MS Win XP Pro SP3 32-bit and got 10 years old before I ditched it and bought and self-built my new computer, and now I do this once on this computer, and as you can see in my signature I have a real-time security setup which I consider to be comprehensive. However, I want to be as certain as I can be that my computer is clean from malware, therefore I run all the AM-tools that quietman7 recommends in the article you linked to. I suppose that is OK?

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 20 April 2016 - 05:05 AM.

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:28 PM

At one time, when I used to use Windows regularly, I would run scans religiously every week.  I would scan with MSE, MBAM and Super AntiSpyware.  I did this for years but never found anything.  All the while, I was practising safe computing too.  Finally, I decided that my safe practices were working.  I stopped doing weekly scans.  I would literally go for months without running a scan.  When I do eventually run a scan, it will still find nothing.

Mind you, I am not telling you to follow me.  If you are happy with the ton of tools in your signature, by all means, continue doing so.  However, if your scans turn up anything, something is wrong with how you practice computing.

#10 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:36 AM

Hi again, Agouti!

Mind you, I am not telling you to follow me.  If you are happy with the ton of tools in your signature, by all means, continue doing so.  However, if your scans turn up anything, something is wrong with how you practice computing.

Yeah, you are sort of right. I just decided to add SpywareBlaster to my security setup. :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 20 April 2016 - 08:00 AM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:51 AM

SpywareBlaster is a good addition to any security toolkit...it is a program that restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone". It prevents the installation of ActiveX-based malware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software and blocks tracking cookies. SpywareBlaster allows you to create a System Snapshot...an image of various system settings. This feature can be used to restore important browser and system settings to their previous state if your computer is ever infected with spyware or altered by unwanted programs. Under the Tools section Hosts Safe allows you to store encrypted backup copies of the HOSTS file which can be used to restore (roll-back to a previous state) if the HOSTS file becomes corrupted or altered by malware infection. Other settings allow you to disable and block Flash in Internet Explorer, add Custom Blocking and more. Unlike many other security tools, SpywareBlaster is not intrusive as it does not run in the background...it focuses on prevention and passive protection without utilizing unnecessary running processes or consuming system (CPU, memory) resources. The program only requires installation and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check periodically for database updates using the built-in "Check for Updates" feature and then enable all protection again. Since SpywareBlaster does not use a real-time protection module, it supplements your existing security software without causing any conflicts. SpywareBlaster can be used with Internet Explorer and many other popular browsers such as Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Netscape, Seamonkey, Flock.

How to use SpywareBlaster to protect your computer
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

Thank you for the information as well as the tutorial link; they make for interesting reading! :thumbup2:

I am sorry I was a bit reluctant to add SpywareBlaster however, because on my previous computer I subsequently had the former Norton Internet Security 2006, Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security (2006-2009) and ESET Smart Security (2009-2015), and upon installation one of these actually prompted me to uninstall SpywareBlaster. I am a bit unsure as to which one of these made this complaint, but I think it was Trend Micro though. :unsure:

Nevertheless, luckily this is not the case for EAM Pro. :lol:

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 20 April 2016 - 08:53 AM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:08 PM

You're welcome.