Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update problems in Malwarebytes Antimalware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:23 AM

Using the free version 2.2.0.1024 on Windows 7 SP1. There are some problems when attempting to update the definitions. They don't occur every time,  just randomly:

1- When updating is finished, the blue process bar won't disappear. No problem when restarting.

2- When going directly to "Scan now", it stucks while applying updates, so it never starts scanning.

I noticed this behaviour on several machines (Windows 7+Vista) with versions 2.x installed. No similar problems when using v. 1.75.

Any experiences? Thanks.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:15 AM

Malwarebytes is currently at v2.2.1.1043

To fully uninstall your old 2.2.0.1024 version, refer to these instructions...Then reinstall with the current version.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:30 AM

Hi, @devilus:

Yes, as suggested by @quietman7, it would be a good idea to CLEANLY update to the current build (2.2.1.1043). 

You mention that you are running MBAM Free; however, if any of the affected systems runs MBAM Premium, please be sure to deactivate your license before uninstalling (as explained in the sticky topic for which @qm7 provided the link).

Either way, please carefully follow ALL the steps, especially rebooting when prompted by the removal tool.  It would not hurt to reboot again AFTER upgrading.

Having said that, there is no inherent reason why 2.2.01024 would fail to update. 

The behavior you describe sounds more like a possible software conflict (AV or firewall), networking issue (perhaps a proxy?), incorrect system time/date, system configuration problem, or even (possibly) malware.

So, if cleanly upgrading to the current build does not resolve the issue, please let us know.  More work will likely be needed to determine the cause/solution, preferably on one system at a time.

Cheers,

MM

#4 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:35 AM

Thanks to all.

Hi, @devilus:

Yes, as suggested by @quietman7, it would be a good idea to CLEANLY update to the current build (2.2.1.1043). 

You mention that you are running MBAM Free; however, if any of the affected systems runs MBAM Premium, please be sure to deactivate your license before uninstalling (as explained in the sticky topic for which @qm7 provided the link).

Either way, please carefully follow ALL the steps, especially rebooting when prompted by the removal tool.  It would not hurt to reboot again AFTER upgrading.

Windows 7 with MBAM 2.2.0.1024 is already a clean install.

On Vista, I've tried all versions starting from the latest one (maybe, that was few months ago) and finally decided to use the 1.75 for a while. (I've already done correctly what quitman7 told in his post, step by step.)

Having said that, there is no inherent reason why 2.2.01024 would fail to update. 

The behavior you describe sounds more like a possible software conflict (AV or firewall), networking issue (perhaps a proxy?), incorrect system time/date, system configuration problem, or even (possibly) malware.

I didn't say that the update fails (sorry if my english is bad). That behaviour occurs randomly without any reason.

I've found a similar topic there:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/174321-blue-update-bar-always-stalls-when-finished-updating/

(Ironically, installing 2.2.0.1024 seems to have solved the topic starter's problem.)

No malware, no firewall, no problem with time/date etc.etc.

Anyway, the problem I wrote is not a big problem. I just wanted to know if there are some people with that behaviour. I'll let you know when I install the latest version of MBAM.

Thanks again.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

#5 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:00 PM

Hi: :)

For the record, neither the 2.2.0.1024 nor the 1.75 program version contains the latest bug fixes, stability improvements, security features and other program enhancements.
If your systems are not updating their databases, either, then that increases the likelihood of both false-positives and false-negatives -- so, you are less well protected.
Moreover, support for version 1.75 will end altogether soon.

Also, the bug for which you provided the link to an MBAM forum post from October 2015 is fixed with the current program build, 2.2.1.1043.
So, if you upgrade to the current version, the problem should be resolved with updating "hanging" when a new program version is available but automatic program update checks are disabled, as explained in the 2.2.1.1043 changelog HERE.

Millions of users update MBAM Consumer to the current program and database versions without incident.
We would be more than happy to assist you with getting MBAM up and running/updating correctly on your systems, either here at bleeping, or at the MBAM forum

But it's certainly up to you. :)

Cheers,
MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 18 April 2016 - 04:01 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:10 PM

If all suggestions fail, I recommend you start a new topic in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help Forum and report the issue there so they can investigate. If one of the Staff members ask you to run some "Diagnostic Logs", please refer to this topic and post the logs in your original Malwarebytes topic, not here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users