Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing DLLs/ System unstable

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 M Moore

M Moore

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:08 PM

After my system hung a few days ago I am unable to run many programs - primarily because of missing DLLs (most common error centres around missing iertutil.dll).

I posted on the windows crashes, BSOD forum and conclusion was is either hardware or software problem and both would suggest I do a clean install of windows. See thread here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611146/after-crash-missing-dlls-and-computer-in-rough-shape/

Not great news for me, but if I have to start with clean install I will but I'm really hoping someone can help me get the computer back to a somewhat stable state so I can make the transition to new install "easier". For example, I have backups of all photos but if I could get Photoshop Elements to run, then I could export the library and import it on new image which would mean all the tags associated with several thousand photo's would be saved - similarly I could maintain my playcount data in iTunes, etc...

Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:45 PM

Hi,

I would like to see the errors reported by SFC please.

Export the CBS folder

• Click the Start button Win7Orb.gif then click Computer.
  • Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
  • Find and double click on the Logs folder.
  • Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
  • Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
  • Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.
  • Attach this to your next post please, if the file is too big please share the file using Dropbox

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:30 PM

I'd also like to see the SFC report, but you can do a nondestructive repair install, which should get you to a stable enough state where you can export all your libraries and such.

It refuses to run on those IOS's because the earlier versions of cIOScorp scooped out your Wii's innards and turned them into delicious Scrambled IOS Breakfast, which confused the crap out of their installer and gave TT all sorts of bizarre errors to scratch their heads over.

Limits are temporary, the boundaries of which are to be pushed by diligent study and application of oneself to the problem at hand.

#4 M Moore

M Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for help - CBS log is attached....

Am having problems finding windows disks (moved a few months ago and still very disorganized) - will dig through things today and see if I can locate.

Attached File  CBS.zip   7.36MB   5 downloads

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:38 AM

Hi,

Not sure if the errors can be fixed without a Repair Install! try this:

Download the System Update Readiness Tool for your Windows version and save it to some place, its a big download and eventually we need to run it several times.

Run the tool its like an Update but it can take a long time. Disable any security program that have runtime protection active.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 M Moore

M Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:46 AM

OK - have run system update readiness tool - appears to have successfully installed KB947821

No noticeable changes in number of programs during startup that fail due to missing dlls (still predominantly iertutil.dll)

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:54 AM

Post the new CBS logs please.

___
Rui

#8 M Moore

M Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:15 AM

File "CBS 2.ZIP" located at following link...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ktzxzi7b14kwbbl/AAAf6TdpJEunyfjNGQkt0a4da?dl=0

#9 M Moore

M Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:45 AM

Some additional info which may be somewhat related - 2 years ago I had a problem and received help on this forum... see thread here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/542504/please-help-computer-unstable/

At end the computer was working (and has worked ever since) but there were a number of items that sfc /scannow were not able to fix at that time

Wanted you to be aware of that (would have mentioned sooner but had been think was on a previous computer...)

The other thing that may be related is that some of the issues had been related to .net back then and they had asked about whether I had visual studio installed... The only significant change I had made to this computer was approximately 2 days before problem started I installed visual studio 2015...  likely unrelated as computer was fine for a couple of days but since was mentioned in old thread thought I would highlight.

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:50 AM

Run the tool again.

In the end check the CBS folder and post only the CheckSUR.log

___
Rui

#11 M Moore

M Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:07 PM

Re-ran system update readiness tool followed by sfc - checksur.log attached..

Attached Files

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:09 AM

Hi,

Just to let you know that I'm preparing a fix for you and will post later.

___
Rui

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:03 PM

Hi,

Lets see if we can fix missing files and that now new errors popup...

!!! WARNING !!! The following fix is only relevant for this system and no other, running the script on another computer will not work and may cause problems...

• Download SFCFix.exe (by Niemiro) and save this to the Desktop.
  • Download SFCFix.zip and save the file to the Desktop
  • On your Desktop, you should have two files: SFCFix.exe and SFCFix.zip
  • Drag the file SFCFix.zip onto the file SFCFix.exe and release it
  • The SFCFix tool will process the script
  • Upon completion, a log file SFCFix.txt should be created on your Desktop
  • Open the SFCFix.txt log and copy & paste the contents to your post

Run the SURT tool again and post the new c:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log (copy the file to the desktop then zip it)

Edited by SleepyDude, 19 April 2016 - 02:06 PM.

___
Rui

#14 M Moore

M Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:32 PM

Dragging the zip file onto the exe doesn't appear to launch the program - it appears as if it will (i.e. prompt changes to "+ open with sfcfix..." but nothing appears to run...

Is there a command line I can use?

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:58 PM

When I drop the zip file SFCFix starts and open a Command Prompt window.

I don't get any prompt! make sure you use the left button.

Edited by SleepyDude, 19 April 2016 - 02:59 PM.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users