Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Window Won't Go Away

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tanis0

tanis0

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:53 PM

I have a strange window which won't go away. Attached File  Capture.PNG   3.44KB   0 downloads in the upper-left corner of my main monitor (three monitor setup). Attached File  Capture2.PNG   54.36KB   0 downloads

If I click within that gray bar, the X at the bottom changes briefly to a number between 100 and 1 depending on how high I click and rapidly counts down. From 100, it's maybe 2 seconds, always at a pretty constant pace. It's always on top of other windows and I'd like to get rid of it.

The window occasionally disappears but comes back soon, usually right away. I've run several virus scans but haven't come up with anything. Killing most all of my background processes didn't make it go away either.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

I have no idea why it doesn't go away, but that's the speaker volume level indicator and the X at the bottom means you have your speakers muted.  When they're on you will see a number beneath it indicating the percentage of full volume you're currently set at.  It's usually invoked via the function key that raises, lowers, or mutes volume - not the standard volume icon in the system tray.  Mine always disappears a few seconds after a change is made via a function key.

My guess regarding why it isn't going away is some peculiar interaction between that on-screen indicator and whatever the OS uses to run a three-monitor system.  You might want to check the Feedback app and submit feedback about this.  

Edited by britechguy, 17 April 2016 - 06:41 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 tanis0

tanis0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:14 PM

Thanks, that helped me figure it out. My keyboard has volume buttons at the top which I've never used and didn't know were there, and something was pushing them in. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users