Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Bang for the buck?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boomdig

boomdig

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:36 PM

I used to not pay that great of attention to my malware/anti-virus programs. As the web becomes more dangerous and malware and virus are every where I was wondering what you guys would choose for your home computer protection. I am currently running TrendMicros anti virus suite which will run into the pay up stage in about 10 days. The program seems to work very well. I haven't noticed any real bad spots in this program. Then again, is there something out there that is better for the money? It's hard to run any test to know what this program does better than another. So it boils down to, like the hard question I asked about the better browser a few months ago, to an all around protection suite that is out there is there truly one better than the rest?

I have Chrome with Ad-block and RegServo registry optimizer. and a couple of anti-malware programs running. Things seem fine. But when the hammer drops on the time limit in 10 days for my Trend-Micro suite is just buying it a good move or is there something better?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:06 PM

TrendMicro is as good as any other well known anti-virus program but I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites are filled with extra features (including "bells & whistles") which typically use more system resources...leaving a larger footprint...and they typically cost more money. Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate. Internet Security Suites include a Firewall component, which IMO is unnecessary since the Windows built-in firewall is one of the best and provides adequate protection. Further, many folks also use a router which is essentially a hardware firewall.

In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality, more effective at what they are designed to do and leave a smaller footprint. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring program settings and usage.The best defensive strategy to protect yourself from from malware and ransomware infection is a comprehensive approach...make sure you are running an updated anti-virus and anti-malware product, update all vulnerable software, disable VSSAdmin.exe, use supplemental security tools with anti-exploitation features capable of stopping (preventing) infection before it can cause any damage and routinely backup your data.Some anti-virus and anti-malware programs include built-in anti-exploitation protection. For example, Emsisoft Anti-Malware uses advanced behavior blocking analysis which is extremely difficult to penetrate...it continually monitors the behavior of all active programs looking for any anomalies that may be indicative of malicious activity and raises an alert as soon as something suspicious occurs. Emsisoft has the ability to detect unknown zero-day attacks and file-encrypting malware (ransomware) attacks.

ESET Antivirus and Smart Security uses a Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) to monitor system activity with a pre-defined set of rules to recognize suspicious system behavior. When this type of activity is identified, HIPS stops the offending program from carrying out potentially harmful activity. ESET Antivirus (and Smart Security) includes Exploit Blocker which is designed to fortify applications that are often exploited, such as web browsers, PDF readers, email clients or MS Office components. This feature monitors the behavior of processes, looks for and blocks suspicious activities that are typical for exploits including zero-day attacks. ESET's Java Exploit Blocker looks for and blocks attempts to exploit vulnerabilities in Java.

See my comments at the bottom of Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:10 PM

Let's see.  On Windows, I use Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, WinPatrol free and Malwarebytes free.  I also use Firefox with NoScript and uBlock Origin.  On Linux, I use the built-in Firewall and that's it.  However, I also practice safe computer habits which I believe makes the greatest difference between my getting infected or not.  For that matter, I have never been infected.  Knock wood.

[Edit]

Get rid of RegServo.  You don't need it.  Windows will work perfectly well without having to "optimize" the registry.  In fact, registry cleaners and optimizer could cripple your system and make it unbootable.  Take my word for it.

Edited by Agouti, 17 April 2016 - 05:13 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:05 PM

Another thing to consider: we could give you suggestions all day long but what works for one person may not play nice on your system.

I have in the past tried McAfee and it made my system crawl slower than a turtle. So slow I could not get to add remove programs to uninstall it. Fortunately everything had been backed up a couple of days before so I reinstalled Windows XP, which had just been released.

My daughter tried a different AV which slowed her computer down. At least she was able to uninstall it.

IF you are considering a paid product, try the free trial if offered. You certainly don't want to spend money on something that does not play nice.

#5 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:12 AM

I gave up on all the 3rd party software but for one. I had Verizon that was sold to Frontier. They have a suite for free that covers about everything. If I go to a web site that has to do with credit cards or banking it kicks in an extra layer of protection. I use this and a couple of apps in Chrome like ad blocker and WOT and am getting along fine. I still use a Super spyware program and it will find a ton of tracking cookies that aren't really dangerous but I don't like them on my computer. I use this program to delete those but it never finds any spy or malware. For free and from an ISP like Frontier it's a good app. and you can add on different bundles, for a price. I have to admit whenI first install all my programs and apps, after an inevitable major crash of Windows 10 I use Advanced System Care, oops, I don't think I was allowed to say that. Anyway, I have found most 3rd party programs to be useless. If you learn Windows all of those functions are there somewhere.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:31 AM

Advanced SystemCareFree is a suite of protection, performance and privacy tools by IObit. It provides basic protection from security threats, basic system optimization and auto clean for privacy security when logging on. Optimization includes a registry cleaner that purports to improve performance, make repairs and tune up a computer.

The optimization and performance improvement claims made by such software vendors are borderline scams. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results such programs detect as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them. For other user comments...read iOBit Advanced System Care, Good or Bad.

Further, these types of junk optimization programs are often considered Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) so they may be detected or even removed by some security scanners which specifically look for PUPs and adware. IOBIT was placed into the Installers Hall of Shame for bundling toolbars.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users