Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hierarchy for tool use

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 seeknfinder

seeknfinder

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:10 PM

Hi All,

Is there any guidance regarding a proper order for executing maintenance tasks and cleanup tools (besides regular scheduling) in either a stand-alone home pc and home group network? I often find myself suffering from paralysis by analysis in my efforts at preventing my little system from devolving into a COMPLETELY useless steaming, heaping pile of uhm...molten metal.

Thanks everyone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:31 PM

I'm sure others have their ways of doing things.

For me having a good security program active and current is the first thing.

Also, an on demand scanner can be useful for a second opinion scan.

Then knowing where to get help when I think I need it is always a good thing.

One of the most important facts to remember is that the chair - keyboard interface must be fully engaged at all times during computer operation

The last point is sad but true. An infection is a matter of when not if. Also, no single security product can protect you 100% of the time from 100% of the threats that are being released at the rate of about a million a day.

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:56 PM

Is there any guidance regarding a proper order for executing maintenance tasks and cleanup tools (besides regular scheduling) in either a stand-alone home pc and home group network?

I don't quite understand what you mean by this.  Can you elaborate?  What sort of cleanup and maintenance are you referring to?

#4 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:04 PM

Well, everyone does it different, but I use a real-time protection antivirus (Avast!) and an on-demand scanner (MBAM) first. Then I'd recommend scheduling regular backups, defrags, and System Restore point creations. I'd recommend scheduling CCleaner (but NOT the registry cleaner portion). After you have those, I'd recommend MBAE and Unchecky.

Certainly some of those are more important than others (I mostly put the important ones first), but there's no particular order they need to be run in. Just schedule it for whenever it's convenient and/or needed.

One more thing, and I cannot stress this enough, under no circumstances should you run a registry cleaner.

It refuses to run on those IOS's because the earlier versions of cIOScorp scooped out your Wii's innards and turned them into delicious Scrambled IOS Breakfast, which confused the crap out of their installer and gave TT all sorts of bizarre errors to scratch their heads over.

Limits are temporary, the boundaries of which are to be pushed by diligent study and application of oneself to the problem at hand.

#5 seeknfinder

seeknfinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:30 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, good vibrations to you, and to....

Dick:

A good security program, a secondary on-demand scanner, tertiary resources, and full engagement - check, check, check, and check!

Agouti:

Cleanup: Breach protection (anti-everything); search and destroy (when malware infiltrates)

Maintenance: For example, Windows Administrative Tools are in alphabetical order. But does it make sense to defrag and optimize before doing a disk cleanup just because of their listed order in the menu?

Portaller:

Real-time protection, on-demand scanner, regular backups, scheduled defrags, regular restore points, CCleaner (sans reg cleaner), MBAE, Unchecky. Sounds quite manageable. I've been told multiple times that I have a dry sense of humor so PLEASE don't misconstrue this little asides, k? I had to laugh because your reply is exactly consistent with everyone I've talked to. They run down their list (all pretty consistent with yours, by the way), but nobody ever just stops there! Everyone appends a similar caveat (some are more important so do those first), followed by statements I find akin to a type of confusion we all felt the first time we got busted lying to our folks about anything (everyone does it differently and in no particular order)! If some are more important, and everyone does it differently, then perhaps I should accept that importance is relative to the person instead of the machine. I think your reply tells me I have been asking the wrong question. 

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:49 PM

Maintenance: For example, Windows Administrative Tools are in alphabetical order. But does it make sense to defrag and optimize before doing a disk cleanup just because of their listed order in the menu?

They are listed in alphabetical order because that's how Windows sort items by default.  However, the order they are sorted in has no bearing on how or when they should be used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users