Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop powers on, but won't even boot into BIOS

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 liv11647

liv11647

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:50 PM

Hi, so I have an HP g42 laptop running Windows 7, which is about 6 (?) years old. It's been through a lot of stuff in the past few years, and we had to completely reformat the hard drive and all that jazz. After that it ran smoother than a baby's bottom for about three years. Then, a few months ago, I started noticing that it was having a hard time booting up, and sometimes it wouldn't even make it into BIOS at all. Now, all it does is power up and show me a black screen for infinity, and the caps lock key is repeatedly flashing. I have a video somewhere that I can attach if that helps. I have absolutely no clue what this could mean, and nothing I could find on google helped.

There are also a few things you should know about this laptop that may help: 

-It has no battery- the battery died (drained within .5 seconds of unplugging it) ages ago, and my mom (the primary user for most of it's life) decided to take it out. I only have a vague idea of where it is.

-I can't honestly say that I've treated it with much love since I got it. In the year or so I've had it, I've used for random things- mostly playing sims, but if I was ever unsure about the trustworthiness of a program, I downloaded it there first, since we had no critically important files on it, and it didn't really matter if I had to wipe it.

-Before you ask "why do you want to save it if there's nothing important on there?", I'm gonna put it out there that I'm a pretty avid sims player, and like to make custom content for it. I have about 10 unfinished projects that I forgot to back up (yeah yeah I know), my photoshop (which cost SO MUCH and can only be registered to one computer, thanks Adobe) and my best save file to date all on there. So it's not a tragedy if it can't be fixed, but I'd be happy if I could even get it temporarily running to grab those particular files.

~Thanks in advance! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:44 PM

Please don't shoot the messenger

If that is the original hard drive - that may be your problem.

That said, it might also be possible to take the drive out and make it a slave on another system to be able to recover the data you 'really' want.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 liv11647

liv11647
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:10 PM

I'm not 100% sure how to make the old one a slave, but I spoke to my brother and he has a spare HDD caddy that he's sending me so I can test the drive. It should arrive in about 2 days, and I can use it to hopefully try and recover the data. Unless there's a way I can test it by just putting it into another laptop?

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:17 PM

I always keep an enclosure handy when trouble shooting.  Mount the drive in the caddy and connect to USB,( I assume  that's the normal interface.)  It makes it too easy.

#5 liv11647

liv11647
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:16 PM

So I got the enclosure today, popped the hard drive in and connected it to my main PC. The drive is completely healthy, and I got all of the files that I needed off of it. I assume it's safe to say that it wasn't the hard drive causing the problem?

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:20 PM

It would appear that way.  Hard to tell if any system files were corrupt.

#7 busdriver72

busdriver72

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:37 PM

Most often a defective (even non-bootable) hard drive will not prevent a machine from booting at all.  Disconnecting the hard drive completely will not normally stop a PC from booting...but resulting in an error...no boot drive found.  If it does not boot at all...no errors on screen...there is a problem with the motherboard. 

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:59 AM

"Most often a defective (even non-bootable) hard drive will not prevent a machine from booting at all.  Disconnecting the hard drive completely will not normally stop a PC from booting...but resulting in an error...no boot drive found.  If it does not boot at all...no errors on screen...there is a problem with the motherboard."

sounds logical and correct to me

Dick

Dick E

#9 liv11647

liv11647
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:05 AM

Yeah that's what I thought too. But I mean, I have my files now so everything's ok now I guess. I'm just curious now if it's the motherboard or the processor. Is there any way to figure that out or am I better off just leaving it alone?

#10 busdriver72

busdriver72

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:08 AM

Well, it sort of depends on what you deem it to be worth.  If the laptop is 6 years old then the actual value of the computer has dropped, and then compare this with the cost of repairs...the hardware cost and the time involved.  Is it worth it, or is it more logical to just get a newer laptop from a financial standpoint?  If you could find a CPU that would work, and if you could get it cheap enough, and if you knew for sure the CPU had been tested and was functional, you could disassemble the laptop (which is a pain) replace the CPU, and see what happens.  Of course, you could do that and it could still end up being the motherboard.  Some folks wouldn't do it, some would just for the experience of having done it.

Now, I wouldn't do it...I find working on laptops to be a pain in the booty...but that's just me.

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 788 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:06 PM

On HP's, that blinking caps-lock light is giving you an error code!  Here is their article:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01732674

Edited by DavisMcCarn, 25 April 2016 - 03:06 PM.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#12 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:09 PM

I've repaired laptops.

With a six year old machine I'd recommend a new machine.

New hardware and better soft/firm ware, not to mention speed

If you want to take it apart and try replacing components, please be careful and observe anti-static protocols. At that level they can be fatal to the components.

Good luck

Dick

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users