Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DHCP Stops Leasing IP Addresses!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 faisalkhan99

faisalkhan99

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:03 PM

Dears All
I have Configured DHCP in Server 2012 R2, some times it does not works fine as it stop Publishing IP Addresses for the new Clients and the Internet Browsing Stops, But from Source the internet works fine.
I have to restart the Server then the issue will be solved.

please advice me about my Problem
and please note that I don't have any DHCP Fail Over Configured and am working on IP v4.

Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:19 PM

What error messages are you getting in Event Viewer when this happens? Have you checked to see if the DHCP server service is running? The lack of Internet connectivity indicates the clients may not be renewing their IP leases and are reverting to a 169.254.x.x IP address. You may want to troubleshoot was it happening with those leases.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:39 AM

post a ipconfig /all from a working machine so we can see lease times and other info that may explain what is going on

What is the scope range?

how many hosts are on dhcp?

#4 faisalkhan99

faisalkhan99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:31 AM

What error messages are you getting in Event Viewer when this happens? Have you checked to see if the DHCP server service is running? The lack of Internet connectivity indicates the clients may not be renewing their IP leases and are reverting to a 169.254.x.x IP address. You may want to troubleshoot was it happening with those leases.

iam trying to see the problem from Events viewer but i cannot find DHCP Details over there, there is other things like applications, DNS but no DHCP record...

how can i get DHCP events... 

please advice. 

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:18 AM

You'll want to view the logs on the DHCP server as well as the clients.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:24 AM

On the clients, those entries will be under System in Event Viewer. On the DHCP server you need to make sure DHCP logging is enabled.

#7 faisalkhan99

faisalkhan99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:49 PM

On the clients, those entries will be under System in Event Viewer. On the DHCP server you need to make sure DHCP logging is enabled.

I have found the server the Event ID is : 1059

" The DHCP Service failed to see a directory server for authorization error " 

Please Advice 

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:59 PM

There may be some network connectivity issues between your DHCP server and a domain controller:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc774849(v=ws.10).aspx

If the DHCP server and the domain controller are on the same server, make sure the DHCP service is started and running. You might also want to check and make sure the time on the servers and the clients are synced. There can't be more than 5 minutes difference, or clients won't be able to renew their leases.

#9 faisalkhan99

faisalkhan99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:11 PM

There may be some network connectivity issues between your DHCP server and a domain controller:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc774849(v=ws.10).aspx

If the DHCP server and the domain controller are on the same server, make sure the DHCP service is started and running. You might also want to check and make sure the time on the servers and the clients are synced. There can't be more than 5 minutes difference, or clients won't be able to renew their leases.

I will check the mentioned step in the link.

thank you for your cooperation.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:11 PM

No problem. Let us know if that resolved it or not.

#11 poojayadav

poojayadav

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:12 AM

If the DHCP server is able to communicate with other computers on the network, then I recommend verifying that the DHCP server has an IP address that is compatible with the scope that the server is configured to assign addresses from. For example, if the DHCP server’s scope consists of addresses from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.50, then the server will not actually be able to assign those addresses unless the server itself has been assigned a static address in the same subnet range, such as 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.0.51.

If this still doesn’t solve the problem, then I recommend checking the basics. For example, you should make sure that the DHCP server is still authorized by the Active Directory to lease IP addresses. You should also check to verify that the scope is active, and that the necessary services are running on the DHCP server.

#12 faisalkhan99

faisalkhan99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:48 PM

If the DHCP server is able to communicate with other computers on the network, then I recommend verifying that the DHCP server has an IP address that is compatible with the scope that the server is configured to assign addresses from. For example, if the DHCP server’s scope consists of addresses from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.50, then the server will not actually be able to assign those addresses unless the server itself has been assigned a static address in the same subnet range, such as 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.0.51.

If this still doesn’t solve the problem, then I recommend checking the basics. For example, you should make sure that the DHCP server is still authorized by the Active Directory to lease IP addresses. You should also check to verify that the scope is active, and that the necessary services are running on the DHCP server.

Thank you for your cooperation...

I will check and will let you know about the feedback.

#13 ServerTech

ServerTech

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:15 PM

You might always want to check and see if there are not any rogue DHCP servers (ie routers, etc) on your network that may be configured improperly.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users