Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen, can't access safe mode, won't restore

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kirkystew

Kirkystew

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:48 AM

When turn laptop on a blue screen (blue screen mentions page fault & datestamp) quickly appears then disappears. Moves to startup repair that says 'startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically'. I select the recommended button the computer shuts down.

I restart pressing F8. I selected each option and nothing works. In advanced system recovery options-start up repair doesn't work. System restore does give me a list of dates to select from but each of them throws up error box saying application error. Memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate. System image recovery says Windows cannot find a system image on the computer. Windows memory diagnostic-I selected the recommended button and the computer restarts running 2 tests on a new blue screen. The tests run starting Windows screen appears then again the blue screen appear & disappears and the Windows error recovery screen appears. The recommended button brings it to startup repair again. In system recovery options-command prompt I type add /scan now. It says there is a pending system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart & run sfc again. So I restart the computer the blue screen flashes again-I go to start Windows normally in error screen and blue screen flashes again then windows error recovery appears again so I select the recommended choice and I'm back at startup repair box-I go into advanced options again and try the sfc command again. It throws up the same message reboot.

I'm at a complete loss. I have limited computer knowledge & got those steps from googling. The laptop has my daughters Alevel work on so hopefully someone can help me without wiping all the files. I hope I have posted in the correct forum and detailed the correct information!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:22 PM

It appears the operating system is corrupt and may be unrepairable. Your best bet it to remove the hard drive, attach it using a USB external hard drive connector, and copying over any files you can find.

#3 Kirkystew

Kirkystew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. That is beyond my capabilities, I will leave it in to get sorted thanks again

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:32 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Is this computer running Windows 7?

Do you have a Windows 7 installation disc?

In order to boot from the USB drive you will need to open the BIOS and change the boot order so that the USB device is the first device in the boot order, and hdd the second device.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Kirkystew

Kirkystew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:14 PM

I left it into a guy who saved all my documents onto fixed whatever was up and put my documents back on the laptop. I'm v happy the work was saved but all my program s are gone. I have a question we used Microsoft office 2010 can I download this? I've had trouble finding it all I can seem to find is the newer versions

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:25 PM

I believe nobody is legally allowed to copy his/her Office 2010 and send it to you.  You'll probably have to be on The 'Net lookout for a brand-new, un-used, Office 2010 available for sale.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:27 PM

If you still have your key go here.

https://www2.downloadoffice2010.microsoft.com/usa/registerkey.aspx?culture=EN-US&ref=backup&country_id=US

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:29 PM

If you have a valid product key for Office 2010 and can find an installation disk, you should be able to reinstall it.

Unfortunately, there are no (legitimate) download sources for 2010. Microsoft has moved on to 2013 and 2016. I would be wary of downloading it from non-Microsoft sources. You don't know what else has been bundled into the installation file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users