Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Making Constant Alarm Sound - Poss. Ransomware?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jaybeebrad

jaybeebrad

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:54 AM

So I have a friend whose elderly mother uses an Acer tablet PC. Kind of a cheap model.

She has a habit of downloading questionable software which we inevitably help her remove.

We've done a sweep with Malwarebyte/AdAware/Spybot S&D and everything seems clean at present.

However she is suffering from an odd situation. Every now and then, perhaps once a minute or two, it makes this sound:

http://www.saveplinko.us/bloop.mp3

It definitely makes the sound when opening and shutting the computer, but beyond that we cannot identify WHAT is triggering the chime.

I'm hoping someone might recognize the sound and be able to figure out what in the BLEEP is going on?!?!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:35 AM

Just an idea.  Have you check Task Scheduler to see if there might be a task or two that is doing this?

#3 jaybeebrad

jaybeebrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:05 AM

Just an idea.  Have you check Task Scheduler to see if there might be a task or two that is doing this?

Nope, but I will try that next time I see her.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:16 AM

Good.  Let us know what you find.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,961 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:11 PM

Ransomware encrypts data and typically leaves ransom notes with instructions on how to get your data back. The symptoms you describe are not related to any ransomware that I am aware of. As such, I will move your topic to a more appropriate forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:38 PM

Every now and then, perhaps once a minute or two, it makes this sound

It definitely makes the sound when opening and shutting the computer, but beyond that we cannot identify WHAT is triggering the chime.

I'm hoping someone might recognize the sound and be able to figure out what in the BLEEP is going on?!?!

You are in luck. At least I hope I have the answer for you.

The key is it "makes the sound when opening and shutting the computer".

I *think* Sound *might* be set to play that when opening/shutting.

I checked on my laptop for the sound. Since it only happens at certain times I went straight to Sleep Settings.
This is the first one listed-Alarm01- and it does sound like what you posted: (did it this way so you can see Sounds)

To choose a different or no sound:
Control Panel/Sound/Sounds tab.

Scroll through the list until you find SLEEP.

Highlight the word SLEEP.

In the box underneath it, if it says Alarm1, click the drop-down arrow and make your choice of sound OR choose NONE

Click APPLY to save the change.

If it works, great. If not at least it was worth a try.

As for hearing it "perhaps once a minute or two" you can click on EVERY option in SOUND to see which one is listed for that task.

If it is ALARM 01, you will know what she does that triggers the sound and the sound can be changed.

*this is the name of the Setting (Sleep) and the name of the sound on Windows 10. It may be different on other versions of Windows. I can't check on my Windows 7 desktop right now to see what they are called on 7.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 April 2016 - 11:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users