Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does the amount of Linux topics Vs Mac topics mean anything

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Linux_User

Linux_User

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:51 AM

I noticed on this "general" forum that Linux questions currently outnumber Mac OS questions nearly 4:1 (3058 / 789 respectively)

Does this suggest Linux is becoming more popular ?

I guess it could equally suggest Mac OS has less problems (and Mac users would probably say this is the case), but having used both I find that hard to believe.

I suppose it could also suggest Mac users go elsewhere, but wouldn't that also apply to Linux users (this is generally seen as an anti malware forum after all)

I'm personally not drawing any meaningful conclusions, just wondering what you guys think, and if you think it represents some kind of new trend ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:02 AM

I believe that the scenario that you describe of the Linux Forum having 4 times more questions/traffic than the Mac forum is indicative that Mac itself is a closed universe and Linux is an open (source) universe.

That is my take on the numbers.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Linux_User

Linux_User
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:04 AM

Is it though ? .. what would draw a Linux user to this particular forum, as opposed to a Mac user ? .. I think both communities can be equally as insular.

Neither user would specifically see this forum as Linux/Mac related .. maybe it's just that Windows users are more likely to experiment with Linux than OS X, but doesn't that also mean there's more people using Linux ?

I've often wondered how skewed the reported figures are for "desktop" users (often quoted as 2% Linux, and 11% Mac) by there being no reliable method of measurement .. not that it means much, but I've personally seen as many PC's with Linux on them as Macs, and it appears (at least from my own personal perspective) to be a growing trend, but I guess that could simply be a measure of the circles within which I mix (?)

Edited by Linux_User, 17 April 2016 - 11:05 AM.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:29 AM

It's because bc form members are much to smart to use Mac! lol, jab jab.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 Linux_User

Linux_User
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:34 AM

LOL, risky post .. a Mac fan might retort  "maybe they're too dumb to understand Linux so need assistance" ;)

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,251 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:34 PM

I know I know, but if they can't take a joke....lol

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:36 PM

wondering what you guys think
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611404/does-the-amount-of-linux-topics-vs-mac-topics-mean-anything/#entry3981376

I think one contributer would be the fact that OSX comes pre-installed on a MAC, but most computers do not come with Linux. Assuming the user is new to that OS the MAC user is ready to go, but the Linux user has to ask their first question, "How do I install [distro-name]?". This is assuming they've even decided which distro they want to install, if not they may ask about that first.

Does this suggest Linux is becoming more popular ?
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611404/does-the-amount-of-linux-topics-vs-mac-topics-mean-anything/#entry3981376

I think Linux is becoming more popular each year (in part because of better hardware support, in part because of more user-friendly distros emerging, and in part because Microsoft has made radical changes to Windows that some people dislike), or maybe it just seems more popular to me, because I've been spending so much time in the Linux world?

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:13 PM

Do any of you remember when Mac firts came out with OS-X that for a time they gave it away to install on any system that would accept it.

I happen to be holding in my hand right now a backup cd of OS-X that came off my old XP Pro tower.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#9 Linux_User

Linux_User
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:37 PM

Good point hollowface (preinstalled), and one I'd not considered .. it might be interesting to go through the two forums and see how many topics are installation related (even where only tenuously)

Edited by Linux_User, 17 April 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#10 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:54 PM

I would venture it's due to the open-source angle, not to mention the sheer # of different distros. 

Edited by 66Batmobile, 17 April 2016 - 09:00 PM.

Whatever it was...I didn't do it!

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:17 AM

Good point hollowface (preinstalled), and one I'd not considered .. it might be interesting to go through the two forums and see how many topics are installation related (even where only tenuously)

Yep, that is a good point. Also consider that not only is Mac OS usually installed in a factory but is installed on hardware that's built for it, whereas Linux is usually installed by home users on hardware that's built primarily for Windows.

Edited by Al1000, 18 April 2016 - 11:17 AM.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:56 AM

Yep, that is a good point. Also consider that not only is Mac OS usually installed in a factory but is installed on hardware that's built for it, whereas Linux is usually installed by home users on hardware that's built primarily for Windows.

Yes, and that hardware that's often inferior & costs more than two Windows computers of equal specs, is also a huge reason why. So are many preinstalled Linux computers, that's why it's best to purchase a Windows computer & convert to a Linux one (especially if notebook). Given that one doesn't have to purchase a Windows license to build a Linux computer, the cost of building is lowered further. 

I believe the strongest reason as to why there's more Linux Topics boils down to economics. Not everyone can afford a 5 year old Mac, let alone a brand new one, and Windows computers, plus self builds, typically costs far less for better hardware. Anyone who tries to sell me a $2,000 computer of any type, that doesn't ship with a quad core i7, I'm going to laugh in their face, if a person to person sales attempt. Because for that price, a quad core i7 of powerful specs (minimum base clock of 3.5Ghz with 3.9GHz or higher Turbo Boost), 32GB RAM & 4GB or higher GDDR5 GPU should be standard equipment. Anything less would be considered an insult to my intelligence. 

That's another reason why more doesn't turn to Apple, is the hardware for the dollar. Any computer over $1,200, i3 shouldn't be on the same page, and if i5, better be an unlocked K model. And Intel 5xx HD (or even 4600) graphics? On the Passmark charts, even ancient AMD 2xxx-3xxx series cards rank higher. So much for gaming w/out a discrete card. 

Another reason why there's fewer Mac posters is that they have their own communities, kind of like the many dedicated Linux forums, so it's not surprising that more Linux users are posting. 

Finally & the best for last, there are those of us whom have reshaped this Community in the last 12-18 months with a lot of hard work, and this was designed to attract & maintain Linux members to our site. That Bleeping Computer also fully supports Linux users also, and with welcome arms. :)

We don't bash members just because they're dual booting with Windows 'while learning', as many of the dedicated forums does, in fact, it's a violation of the rules to openly bash members, regardless of reason. It's mainly the dedicated forums that are keeping Linux usage down by treating newbies the way they do, and unfortunately, not all will find our Community, and will return to Windows. 

At any rate, am glad to hear we're getting more exposure, as shown by the increase in recent Topic frequency. That's what we were & still are working hard to do, and will not let up. We're showing further up the chart on the Google's 'hit list' of Linux forums, and that's good for everyone. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 Linux_User

Linux_User
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:53 PM

"It's mainly the dedicated forums that are keeping Linux usage down by treating newbies the way they do, and unfortunately, not all will find our Community, and will return to Windows.

Oh that's just wrong in so many different ways, and itself perpetuates that particular myth.

So the odd overly enthusiastic Linux user is enough to put people off, but the script kiddies constantly trying to break Windows or pass malware isn't <scratches head> ???

There are idiots everywhere, but the odd fool aside I've personally found the Linux community to be much more friendly and helpful than the Windows ecosystem .. are you saying that's not been your experience ?

I believe the strongest reason as to why there's more Linux Topics boils down to economics. Not everyone can afford a 5 year old Mac, let alone a brand new one, and Windows computers, plus self builds, typically costs far less for better hardware

So are you saying you 'do' think there's more Linux users than Mac users because of price ?

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,129 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:30 PM

Just to stick my tuppence worth in. My primary computer - a desktop - dual boots in Win 7 and Mint and I have an elderly laptop running Mint only. I have virtually made the decision that Win 7 is going to be my last version of Windows. It's not that I don't rate Win 10 as an OS, but from the little use I have had with it the GUI is a total mess which gets in the way. As soon as I can work out how to get some windows software I use, and have invested fairly heavily in, to run in Linux I will be gone !

Now if only there was as good an image viewer as Irfanview for Linux I'd be gone quicker.

Chris Cosgrove

#15 Linux_User

Linux_User
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:37 PM

Besides all the Linux native viewers, how about

http://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/

(free for personal use)

Edited by Linux_User, 20 April 2016 - 06:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users