Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup password

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Irishwolf3

Irishwolf3

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:32 AM

Hello, a company saying they worked with Windows locked me out of my PC. Because I would not pay them $200. I have called them over & over again, they keep hanging up on me. Windows cannot help. Asus says I have to send my PC to them. Both windows & Asus tried helping but nothing. Black screen with box saying PC needs startup password. I need help please. I do not know what to do......Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar

Authorized Emsisoft Representative

• Security Developer
  • 744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:50 AM

Any chance you can take a picture of the screen using your smartphone and post it here? It makes it easier to see what kind of startup key it is asking for.

Best regards,

Fabian Wosar [Development]
Emsisoft Team - www.emsisoft.com

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:02 AM

Irishwolf3, you already have a thread here.  Please stick with one thread.  Since yesterday you have be creating multiple threads on the same topic and have been asked more than once stop doing so.  Starting threads all over the forum is not going to get you any better or quicker help because it's mostly the same bunch of people who help out no matter with forum it is.

Once again, please do not keep creating threads on the same topic.

#4 cybercynic

cybercynic

• Members
  • 557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:45 PM

This sounds a lot like this scam:

http://triplescomputers.com/blog/casestudies/solution-this-is-microsoft-support-telephone-scam-computer-ransom-lockout/

We are drowning in information - and starving for wisdom.

#5 cybercynic

cybercynic

• Members
  • 557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:44 PM

This person is being helped in "Am I Infected - What do I do?"

Edited by cybercynic, 17 April 2016 - 01:51 PM.

We are drowning in information - and starving for wisdom.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:17 PM

Since you are already receiving assistance in your other topic, please continue there. I strongly suggest you do as Fabian Wosar asked in Post #2 and post the picture of the screen in that topic as well.

You should not start new threads or duplicate topics as this causes confusion and makes it more difficult to get the help you need to resolve your issues when asking for and receiving assistance elsewhere. Further, it necessitates staff spending time with housecleaning to remove or close those duplicate postings...time which could have been provided to others needing assistance.

To avoid confusion this thread is closed.

The BC Staff

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users