Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Undeleting the deleted.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lipchitz

lipchitz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:06 AM

Is there a program available for Vista that once installed will allow me to view deleted browsing history?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:14 AM

Provided the file that contains the browsing history hasn't be overwritten, you might be able to use a file recovery program such as Recuva to recover the file.  You would also have to know the name of the file to search for.

#3 lipchitz

lipchitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:25 PM

I looked over Recuva and it may work for me provided I can tell it what to look for. Pardon the stupid question but what kind of file is browsing history usually stored on? Is there a way of preventing it from ever being deleted? I'm just trying to find out what my family is hiding from me; When they come to visit they always delete their history on my computer when they leave. It's probably just smut but it drives me crazy not knowing.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:38 PM

To answer that question, I would obviously need to begin by asking which browser you (or your visiting family members) are using?  Which account on the computer do they use?  Instead of surreptitiously checking up on them, why don't you ask them directly?  Suppose they are accessing confidential information like their email account or bank account, don't you think that is a good reason to delete the browsing history?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:57 PM

I found this http://www.any-activity-monitor.com/

I have never used it but you could at least check it out.

FAQ's are on the SUPPORT page.

30 day free trial. If your visitors use your computer within the 30 days it will either confirm your suspicions or tell you they are not doing anything to be concerned about.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 April 2016 - 07:58 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:49 PM

There is a cheaper, perhaps even free, way -- Resplendence's Undeluxe.  Anyone remembering Norton Protected Recycle Bin days will know pretty much how Undeluxe works.  While NPRB simply extended the number of pointers to deleted files, Undeluxe creates a tiny text file pointer to each and every deleted file.  One can simply search the cache/history folder of any particular browser and undelete whatever has been deleted.  I do not know the difference between the free version and the pay-for version.

Edited by RolandJS, 17 April 2016 - 08:50 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 lipchitz

lipchitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:19 AM

Thank you for the suggestions Queen-Evie & RolandJS; I've looked them both over and I'm sure they are what I'm lookin for. Surveilstar is about twice the price but has stealth mode and a free thirty day trial so I may use your idea Queen and use it at the right time.

Thank you for your prompt response Agoiti. I'm using Firefox as my browser and the family all uses my login so there's only one user in the eye of the computer. To answer your real question, they may very well be checking their balances and even if they're lookin at smut, I don't mind as long as they aren't downloading anything. I have a very surreptitious family and whatever they tell me, I wouldn't believe so I'm turning to surveillance. There's plenty more to the story but if I go into detail this will start sounding like facebook but I thank you for your help.

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:46 AM

...the family all uses my login so there's only one user in the eye of the computer.

That is not a very good arrangement.  Since they are using your account, they also have access to all your personal stuff.  Also, being the only account on the computer, I assume it's an Administrator account.  That means your family members are free to do whatever they want.  They can download and install malicious files on your computer, even if they do it unintentionally.  It would be much better if you let them use a Guest Account instead.  If a Guest account is too restrictive, at the very least, you could create a Standard account solely for their use, just so that they will not have Administrative privileges.

Also, I respectfully disagree that you should snoop on your family.  If they ever find out, it can only lead to further distrust.  Of course, I know I am not in your shoes but I hope better sense will prevail.

Good luck.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:19 AM

Agouti has spoken words of gold upon a platter of silver.  As he said:  a standard account at least, a guest account is best.  Your account should have a strong login password and remain just that - your account.

Their eyeing and your spying, under the present one-account, will be an infinity figure-eight.

Edited by RolandJS, 18 April 2016 - 08:21 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#10 lipchitz

lipchitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:38 AM

That sounds like a very good idea Agouti but I'd hate to give them the idea that I don't trust them. Everybody knows my passwords and has gone through all my personal data already. Some have even downloaded games against my wishes. I live with and take care of my ninety year old dad so when they come to visit, they're doing me a huge favor by allowing me to get outta town for some R n R. I now think snooping on them is a bad idea and I should just count my blessings. Thanks for the good advice Agouti & RolandJS.

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:34 AM

lipchitz, as long as you can live with your family members accessing your personal data, that's fine.  And yes, we all need to pause sometimes and count our blessings.  I hope you and your family continue to enjoy a trusting relationship going forward.  Best wishes. :)

#12 TommyBoat

TommyBoat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:42 PM

I looked over Recuva and it may work for me provided I can tell it what to look for. Pardon the stupid question but what kind of file is browsing history usually stored on? Is there a way of preventing it from ever being deleted? I'm just trying to find out what my family is hiding from me; When they come to visit they always delete their history on my computer when they leave. It's probably just smut but it drives me crazy not knowing.

You could purchase a good Keylogger application which records their keystrokes.

Some keyloggers plug into your keyboard chord and go undetected in Windows Control Panel -  Programs and Features.  

#13 TommyBoat

TommyBoat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:48 PM

There are recovery software who are able perform this actions. Well, not exactly as a "delete history" but its kind of similar. You should try one of them.

I was online with India and the technician had software which showed me everything that was deleted and the percentage of life left in the file.  It was around $ 100           This is a cadillac of the industry site   https://www.stellarinfo.co.in        Here is another one  http://www.kerneldatarecovery.com/contact-us.html

and another    http://www.easeus.com/ad/recover-hard-drive.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjwsMu5BRD7t57R1P2HwBgSJABrtj-RRQaPpiY05ZUYuLzxV81zkrGwVqHWQq9qYQv3YBMsZxoC-Qbw_wcB

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:51 PM

...if you read the thread you will see that the OP has already changed his mind about trying to recover browsing history.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 May 2016 - 09:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users