Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iPhone 6 supposedly not connecting to home wifi network automatically

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 liv11647

liv11647

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:19 AM

Hi there-

So lately, it seems that my brother has been using an obscenely huge amount of data each month. Like, he'll have used more than 13 of our 15 gigs of shared data. When asked about it, he claims that his phone doesn't automatically connect to our wifi. I took a look at the phone a few months ago and he had had his personal hotspot turned on, which I assumed had something to do with it, but it's still happening. Is there possibly a reason that this is happening, or is it most likely that he just doesn't feel like using the wifi? (He's been known to claim that using data is faster than our wifi, but that's another story) I'd like to get this cleared up asap, because my parents and sister are starting to get pretty upset (yet somehow I'm the one trying to solve this?  <_<   :hysterical: )

Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:17 AM

What is the make and model of your router?  Most of-the-shelf routers do not come with much features.  However, if your router is compatible, you might be able to flash the router with a 3rd party firmware such as DD-WRT, Tomato or OpenWRT.  A router with one of these firmware will allow you to monitor the bandwidth usage to determine how much is being used by each device.  Other than this, you will not be able to prove who is using up the bandwidth.

#3 liv11647

liv11647
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think you're misunderstanding (probably my fault, I should've been more clear but in my defense it was almost midnight). The wifi bandwith isn't the issue here, it's the 4G/LTE data from AT&T. We already went on the site and confirmed that it was my brother's phone using all of the data, and he says that it's because his phone doesn't connect to our wifi. I'm just not sure if he's lying to get himself out of trouble, or if it's an actual issue with the phone itself.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:27 PM

Okay, I understand now.  Personally, I don't buy his story that his phone doesn't automatically connect to your home Wifi.  However, that is just my personal opinion.  If it really doesn't connect automatically then something is wrong somewhere.  Somebody needs to thoroughly investigate that and I suppose that would be you.  Google the make and model of his phone and see if there are a massive amount of complaints on the 'net about the phone not automatically connecting to Wifi.  For that matter, you or your parents should test the phone yourself and see if it really isn't automatically connecting to Wifi.  That would be the most direct and simple way to investigate this.

Also, if he wants to use 4G/LTE then let him pay for it.  For that matter, I don't understand how anybody could have a 4G/LTE data plan for their home.  4G/LTE is simple too expensive compared to broadband.  Again, that is only my opinion.

Edited by Agouti, 17 April 2016 - 06:30 PM.

#5 liv11647

liv11647
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:57 PM

Yeah okay, so I managed to get his phone while he was doing something else, and, as I suspected his wifi was turned off. I turned it on and brought the phone out of range of our network. When I brought it in, guess what? It connected. I did that three times, with the same result. I'm pretty sure someone (him) is getting their data turned off this month....I mean, we have perfectly good broadband connection in our house, and there's no reason for him to be using up all of the 4G/LTE, which is supposed to be for when we're away from any kind of wifi. 

Thanks again for your help!

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:18 PM

You're welcome.  Glad you were able to prove his phone can connect automatically.

#7 blingblingbling

blingblingbling

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:27 AM

The next time if you come across troubles with home wifi connection, I'd suggest that you can reset the network settings (Go to settings > general > reset > reset networking settings). Usually it will help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users