Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet disconnects often after installing windows 10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dmasterman

Dmasterman

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:43 PM

So after installing Windows 10, everytime I tend to exert internet usage, such as loading more than one tab with a youtube video, or even loading too many pages and playing an online video game, the internet disconnects.

I am using a NETGEARWNA3100 GENIE. This NEVER happened until I installed win 10.

I've heard other people have this problem.

Usually when the internet disconnects a small "USB" will pop up in the bottom right corner, saying "USB un recognized"

The Problem is generally fixed if I reach all the way back behind my computer and unplug the NETGEAR USB and plug it back in. It works 90% of the time, until the internet shuts off again.

Sometimes plugging it in and out doesn't work and requires a full restart.

Any help would be hot :P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:24 PM

This is a common issue with your Netgear.  See here

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters/WNA3100-constantly-disconnecting-on-Windows-10/td-p/1005134/page/4
But there seems to be a solution.  I have copied this from the last post.  Try it, and see if it helps.

OK, this is what I did and it seems to work fine now.  Go to Netgears download drivers and there's a 2.2.0.5 and a 2.2.0.4 (both stand alone and Genie), I downloaded them all. Then I uninstalled the current driver 2.2.0.4 from my computer through the control panel.  I tried the 2.2.05 first but it didn't fix the problem, so I uninstall it.  But then I installed the 2.2.0.4 that I downloaded from their server and installed both.  The stand alone driver vs the Genie seems to have fixed the problem.  I haven't had a dropped connection in four hours.  Good luck.

#3 Dmasterman

Dmasterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:11 PM

Nope. still disconnects. In fact, seems to do it more frequently now.

#4 dihen

dihen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:18 PM

My friend has a not so old laptop that had windows 8.  She was having problems so I brought it to my house, cleaned up some junk, ran a virus scan and installed windows 10.  No problems.  I use a netgear router with cable internet service.  I took the laptop back to her and it started dropping the internet service after just a few minutes.  She uses a 2wire router with Uverse service.  I checked all the settings that I knew to check and still does the same thing.  I might add that she uses an ipad on the same network with no problems.  I took my laptop to her house, connected with no drops or problems.  I then took her laptop back to my house and went to the dell site.  I downloaded some drivers and did some updates.  I cleared the cache.  Seemed to be working so I returned it to her.  Same problem.  I then connected it with an ethernet cable, rebooted it and left it connected for a good while.  Upon removing the ethernet cable it stayed connected for about 10 minutes before the connection dropped - which was longer than before.  I'm at wit's end.  She didn't have these problems before I downloaded Windows 10.  Any suggestions?

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:44 PM

This issue is cause by NeatGear driver it has nothing to do with Windows 10 the driver is buggy.

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users