Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Desktop Pic, Home Page & Other Apps, Black Background, Blue & Yellow Text

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ron H

Ron H

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:35 PM

Surface Pro 3  Windows 10.  Latest update.  Benq GL2460 monitor

\When I booted up yesterday, a small window appeared in the lower right.  I was in a hurry, so I clicked on what seemed to be a reasonable choice.  Apparently not.

Now the opening desktop screen is black.but the Icons appear in their proper colors, as do pictures in other apps.  Firefox background is black, text is blue, address bar text is yellow, as is Word and Excel documents.

sfc says cannot repair opencl.dll plus other stuff I don't understand

Ran various options on DISM.  No Joy.

What to do?

I'm sending this to you from another computer.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:54 PM

I am not sure this will work but right click an empty portion of the desktop. Select Personalize and pick Themes in the left pane. Click on Theme Settings and select the Windows default theme.

#3 emily080

emily080

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:06 AM

Try to restart the computer again and check if the small notification window will appear again.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:01 AM

It sound like you enabled high contrast theme right click Desktop select Personalize from Settings click Themes and click Themes Settings from Personalization windows that opened set Windows theme from anyone of  the Windows aero theme.

Posted Image

#5 Ron H

Ron H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:31 AM

JohnC_21, Choosing the Surface theme works better than most.  But some texts and text boxes remain invisible.

emily 080, I did.  No joy,

FreeBooster, I've been in and out of high contrast trying to see if that fixes it.  Didn't.

I suspect the corrupt opencl.dll file is the problem but I haven;t been able to clean it up using the DISM options.

Could be malware I suppose.

Thanks for your responses.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:41 AM

No opencl.dll file is not a issue opencl.dll file is not corrupted its just newest build of Windows 10 does not have valid certificate for opencl.dll file signature. You don't even have to repair opencl.dll file like i said its not corrupted and can will be used by the system without issue.

Press Alt + Shift + Print Screen keys at same time to open a Easy of Access Center High Contrast dialog box to turn on or off High Contrast.

If above my suggestion wont work can you please post a screenshot of the issue.

Edited by FreeBooter, 17 April 2016 - 11:42 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:48 PM

Try System Restore to a time just before the issue started IF you have system restore points.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/restore-or-reset-surface?os=windows-10#shouldW10

This option takes your Surface back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update and when you create a restore point manuallyexternal.png. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

Step 1: Press and hold (or right-click) Start 7577b690-61b8-47dc-887f-0fb9f275ad2a.png, and select Control Panel.

Step 2: In the search box in the upper-right corner, enter recovery.

Step 3: Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.

Step 4: Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update and select Next > Finish.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 April 2016 - 12:49 PM.

#8 Ron H

Ron H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:32 PM

Got it fixed!

It was the FIrefox color settings.

And here I though I'd checked all of the obvious stuff before I posted on this site.

Thanks to all of you for your concern and your responses.

Embarrassing.....

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:48 PM

We are happy for you but i must say you make this issue impossible for us to help you repair because you told us issue was with Windows and Firefox but now we know we been trying to help you in wrong areas because issue was involved with only Firefox.

Edited by FreeBooter, 17 April 2016 - 01:48 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:10 PM

We are happy for you but i must say you make this issue impossible for us to help you repair because you told us issue was with Windows and Firefox but now we know we been trying to help you in wrong areas because issue was involved with only Firefox.

Ron H did mention WINDOWS 10 to let us know what operating system he uses. He also mentioned Firefox.

Neither he nor the rest of us had any way of knowing if the issue was related to Windows or Firefox.

#11 Ron H

Ron H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:20 PM

Freebooter:  Thank you. 

I'll delete this post tomorrow.

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 02:57 AM

Ron H did mention WINDOWS 10 to let us know what operating system he uses. He also mentioned Firefox.

Neither he nor the rest of us had any way of knowing if the issue was related to Windows or Firefox.

When i read OP help request and thread title it sounded like Windows O/S color  scheme also causing issue same as Firefox color issues but now i know there was no Windows color issue there was only Firefox color issue was present so i have suggested OP to repair High Contrast but this suggestion did not worked because there was no color issue with Windows O/S so we been suggesting OP wrong troubleshooting steps in my view.

Freebooter: Thank you.

I'll delete this post tomorrow.

OP your very welcome, i'm glad to know your issue has been resolved you have a very happy computing!

Edited by FreeBooter, 18 April 2016 - 03:14 AM.

Posted Image

#13 Ron H

Ron H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:35 AM

Can't figure out how to delete this post.

Anyway, an afterthought on what I learned:  Changing the color settings on Firefox. changes the color settings on all other apps, e.g. Word, Excel, Quicken, Notepad.  

#14 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:34 AM

You cannot delete a thread.  It stays.  In case someone else is searching for the same issue, they may find this thread.

Edited by Agouti, 19 April 2016 - 11:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users