Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard possibly bad?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HeyHoLetsGo615

HeyHoLetsGo615

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:27 PM

So I've seen a thread on here before but they seem to all kinda end with no resolution. I did everything I've seen on the other threads (and other websites) and I thought I'd see if I can get another idea because I'm stumped.
Ok, now here's the problem, I just got this new ASRock H97M Pro4 motherboard, as well as a new i5 processor and heatsink. I got a couple of other new things but they're not installed right now, so that's irrelevant.
When I power on my computer, it kicks on for half a second then powers off. It doesn't beep, it just shuts off
Here's what I've done:
-removed motherboard and powered it on while sitting on some cardboard to rule out a short, no change.
-paperclip test to power supply, powers on just fine. Plug it back in to the mb, no change.
-unplugged hard drive(s) to rule out not enough power, no change.

That's about it. I'll post a link to a video of it below:
https://youtu.be/C6gPtU8RISM

If you're wondering why my power switch is yanked out like that, I had to gut one from my old computer because this MB has a smaller connector than what came with this case.

Any thoughts? I want to try to resolve this because if I have to ship it back to newegg then I'll be out a computer for atleast a week.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HeyHoLetsGo615

HeyHoLetsGo615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:28 PM

Also, in this video the board is unscrewed just to continue being sure it's not shorting.

#3 HeyHoLetsGo615

HeyHoLetsGo615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:28 PM

Update:
I reinstalled my old motherboard, and it's happening on that one too, so maybe it's my power supply.
But, it was working fine earlier. What could I have done to make it do this?

Edited by HeyHoLetsGo615, 16 April 2016 - 08:29 PM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:47 AM

Test your power switch; unplug everything - video, HDD, optical drives, any cards, etc. etc. leaving only Power supply and one stick RAM. Unplug your power-on switch and your reset switch from the mainboard bank of ports. Take a flat bladed screwdriver and cross the tiny contacts of the power-on switch on the mobo, and your computer should start up and keep running. If it does, then power down and plug in the video card to see what you are getting. Go on from there. If there is still the same problem, post back.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 HeyHoLetsGo615

HeyHoLetsGo615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:14 PM

Same thing. It just powers on for a half second then powers off.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:16 PM

Describe how you install the CPU; how do you apply the thermal grease?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 HeyHoLetsGo615

HeyHoLetsGo615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 02:57 PM

Describe how you install the CPU; how do you apply the thermal grease?

Sounds dirty...
I put the cpu in the mobo first, took out the black plastic plate, then applied a fair amount of grease to both the CPU and a little on the bottom of the heatsink. Careful not to get any on the sides of the processor. Let dry for 5 mins or so, and installed the heatsink.

#8 Newegg_Support

Newegg_Support

Authorized Newegg Rep

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:30 PM

Hello, Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your computer. If you need help creating an RMA, please email us at wecare@newegg.com. Send us your order number and I'll be more than happy to take a look. -Isaac

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:12 AM

When you apply thermal grease, you apply only to the top of the chip. Make it thin, only just enough to moisten the surface and no more. If too much is applied it will overrun the chip down onto the wafer and cause problems. Many apply a single, pea-sized dab to the middle only then lock down the heatsink. I prefer to use a safety razor and apply a small, thin strip to one side, then stroke it evenly over the entire surface leaving a 1/8" clear perimeter around the sides to allow for any expansion of the grease when hot.

If you apply too much you can get the opposite effect that you want which is overheating.

Also, make sure that your heatsink fan cable is plugged into the proper port on the board, usually marked CPU_FAN or something similar; accidentally plugging into a different port will cause what you are experiencing.

Edited by ranchhand_, 19 April 2016 - 08:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users