Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 10 dell remove files and clean the drive?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 help88bleep88

help88bleep88

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:16 PM

In Dell Inspirion 15 computer there is an option to reset the pc. Two options, one to Just remove my files and the other is to remove files and clean the drive. If I choose the second option to remove the files and clean the drive, will the computer be functional after this is done or will I need to install Windows 10 over again. The original computer had Widows 10 factory installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:59 PM

It depends on if this is a Windows 10 problem or a hardware problem. Doing a Reset will take Windows back to when you purchased it but all your personal data and programs added since purchase will be gone. But yes, if this is a Windows only problem doing a reset will rebuild Windows 10.

It depends on which method you use. The reset through Windows or the reset using the Dell Recovery Image. Please read the following Dell article.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN297920

#3 help88bleep88

help88bleep88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:37 PM

Thank you for the info! If I am giving the computer to someone, I would like to choose the option below to "remove my files and clean the drive". This is an option that I can easily do on my computer. But I want the computer to work when I give it to him. Since I know nothing about computers, I am confused as to what is meant by "clean the drive". As long as windows 10 will still work after I choose this option I am fine. My personal files are already backed up. But I do not want to have to back up windows 10.

Restore your Dell computer using Windows Push Button Reset

If you would like to reset your computer to a clean Windows 10 version and remove all of your files, follow these steps:

This is not a Dell factory image reset, this process will install the basic Windows 10 operating system on your computer without any Dell factory-installed apps. This process formats the hard drive and removes all data. Be sure you have backed up your files prior to beginning this task.

Some Dell tablets may be configured to add Dell factory-installed software during this process.

1. At the desktop, click the Search the web and Windows box and type "reset".
  2. Select Reset this PC (System Setting).
  3. Under Reset this PC, select Get Started.
  4. Select the option to Remove everything.
  5. If you are keeping this computer, select Just remove my files. If you are recycling the computer, select Remove files and clean the drive.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset process. This will take some time and your computer will restart.

#4 help88bleep88

help88bleep88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:50 PM

I suppose I could choose a restore to the Factory Image, which says it will restore your system software to the Dell factory image. Hmm, now I am not sure.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:22 PM

I suppose I could choose a restore to the Factory Image, which says it will restore your system software to the Dell factory image. Hmm, now I am not sure.

A factory restore will put the computer back to Day One, the day it rolled off the assembly line.  Now, a very, very good hard-drive forensic expert could perhaps maybe possibly dig up bitsNpieces of your data -- however, that is quite unlikely.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 help88bleep88

help88bleep88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:33 PM

With a factory restore, do you mean using the Dell Factory Image? That image should already be resident on the computer correct? Would this be better than cleaning the drive? The Cleaning the drive option on Windows 10 scares me that the computer may not work. Or do they mean the same thing?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:35 PM

The factory restore will set it back to the way it came from Dell with all Dell programs intact. The other option that you quoted in post #3 does basically the same thing but you will not have your Dell programs installed. I would recommend you do the factory restore using the Dell Factory Image. In any case if it does not work you can always download Windows 10 and install it on a clean drive but I have never had a factory restore using the restore image fail.

#8 help88bleep88

help88bleep88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:51 PM

Thank you so much! This is what I needed to know. Perfect. I have one last question, is the factory image automatically within my system?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:02 AM

The restore image should be on a partition of the hard drive. You can open Disk Management and you should see a partition in the neighborhood of 20GB or so. These are the steps to follow when using the restore image.

1. At the desktop, click the Search the web and Windows box and type "reset".
  2. Select Reset this PC (System Setting).
  3. Under Advanced Startup, select Restart now.
  4. At the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot.
  5. Select Factory Image Restore.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset process. This will take some time and your computer will restart.

To open Disk Management

Right-click the bottom-left corner (or Start button) on the desktop to open Quick Access Menu, and then choose Disk Management.

http://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/7-ways-to-open-disk-management-in-windows-10.html

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:49 AM

In Dell Inspirion 15 computer there is an option to reset the pc. Two options, one to Just remove my files and the other is to remove files and clean the drive. If I choose the second option to remove the files and clean the drive, will the computer be functional after this is done or will I need to install Windows 10 over again. The original computer had Widows 10 factory installed.

First option clean installs Windows O/S  but second option does full clean install of Windows O/S  what this mean is the hard drive data is overwritten multiple times so they can't be recovered this is needed if you want donate or give your hard drive to a stranger.

Posted Image

#11 help88bleep88

help88bleep88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:43 PM

I did the factory image and all went perfectly! Thank you everyone for your gracious help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users