Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgraded to windows 7 from vista

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 grannyandy

grannyandy

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:36 PM

I upgrade Vista to Windows 7 now it will not let me download updates. I have 206 of them to download and install but it will not do it. It will make it freeze up sometimes. any  help would be appreciated thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:00 PM

Windows 7 are taking a very long time to download lately. I would only start a few at a time. On the last update I had to wait a couple of hours to download only a couple of updates. 

You can download and install this update manually and then see how the rest go. You will need to restart the computer before installing. You need to have SP1 before you can do this update. Right Click Computer and select Properties. It will tell you if you have SP1 under Windows Edition and also if you have 32bit or 64bit under the System section. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS16-039

#3 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:11 PM

I upgrade Vista to Windows 7 now it will not let me download updates. I have 206 of them to download and install but it will not do it. It will make it freeze up sometimes. any  help would be appreciated thank you

Why do you need this crap, if Windows 7 is installed and activated, immediately update to Windows 10 and peace is with you. No more problems with updates, no more  Microsoft pop-ups etc.

#4 grannyandy

grannyandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:17 PM

this is a dell inspirion 1545 and I went to Dell and they say it will not run windows 10 so that is why I put 7 because vista stinks do not like 8.1 either they also said would not take 8.1 thank you for your input that is really what I wanted to do

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

...and I wanted to say that Microsoft is trying to frustrate the hell out of Windows 7 and 8/8.1 users to make them move to Windows 10.

#6 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:28 PM

Be good and tell, bit more, what DELL exactly?
I'm telling you then, running or not, but also now think that a 99.99% will work well.
PS, I have here and today also Dell and not very new or young, it also came with installed Windows 7 Home Premium x86, now has gone through all the intermediate stages, and have Windows 10 Pro x64 now, and not any trouble.

Is it something similar as this?

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-15-6-Inch-Black-Laptop/dp/B002PY7OKI

Edited by kaljukass, 16 April 2016 - 05:33 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:41 AM

Grannyandy,

It seems that kaljukass can't wrap their mind around the fact that you don't wish to install Windows 10.  If you didn't like Windows 8.1 I suspect you are going to have pretty much the same opinion of Windows 10.

Looking at the specifications for your Dell Inspiron 1545 it appears that you may have the required system requirements to run Windows 10 if you had been interested.  The only thing that may be and issue would be your graphics.  You could get past this by purchasing a dedicated graphics card which would have Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics and WDDM driver.

Windows 10 System Requirements

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster.
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Free hard disk space: 16 GB.
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.
A Microsoft account and Internet access.

There is a Upgrade Advisor available for Windows 10.

Just for the record, I'm currently running Windows 8.1.  I still have regrets about giving up my Windows 7.    

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 03:16 PM

...and I wanted to say that Microsoft is trying to frustrate the hell out of Windows 7 and 8/8.1 users to make them move to Windows 10.

Makes you think don't it?  Seems as though it used to be faster to do the Updates?

@grannyandy, Did you try the Advisor yet?  though it is not always correct it's somewhere to start.  Seems to me W10 would work with a little help.

I am struggling with the Update Speeds also, and from a new install it is even worse.  Once you get it all working, it's still slow, but I like W7 a lot.

this is a dell inspirion 1545 and I went to Dell and they say it will not run windows 10 so that is why I put 7 because vista stinks do not like 8.1 either they also said would not take 8.1 thank you for your input that is really what I wanted to do

Well, it looks like "It depends" LOL

Some are saying that all went fine, while others are saying it went all wrong.  It seems to depend on what apps you have installed.  Perhaps after the Upgrade, if it don't go well, you can download the W10 iso, and re-install clean.  Perhaps this would be better to post in the W10 forum.

This is what Dell is saying about this lappy, so you might certainly expect problems.

Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade

Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected.

Hope that helps a little

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 03:23 PM

If you are adventurous have a look here at the Linux section.  If you despise the Looong Update process that will accompany W7 you might like this option.  And, you can Burn a DVD or USB and run it live, as in a Test Drive to see if you might like it, without changing anything to your computer but the Boot Order.  Updates are super fast in Linux, because they come in almost daily, only takes less than 1 minute in most cases.  Even 30sec in most cases.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/577719/never-tried-linux-before-read-this/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:29 PM

Makes you think don't it?  Seems as though it used to be faster to do the Updates?

All of a sudden, lotsa Windows 7 users are having trouble getting updates.  Tell me, what other possible explanation could there be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users