Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid 1 Degradation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Biffa14

Biffa14

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

Hello there,

Its 5am and I am having trouble with something called a degraded mirror on my raid array. :thumbsup:

On boot-up the screen which denotes the status of the array (and where you can configure it by pressing F10 I think) it flashes in red type that the arrays are degraded. This is confirmed in the NVRAID manager.

I am at a complete loss. I do not even know where to start. I have tried deleting an array and then hot plugging it back in, I have messed around with the configuration to see whether there would be at least some impact and and I have changed the connections on the SATA ports from SATA1 and 2 to 3 and 4. Is it likely that something on the motherboard has gone pop?

Any help or even just messages of sympathy and condolence would be appreciated otherwise I am going to have to buy another book in which I am not sure I am going to find the answer in anyway.

Many thanks in anticipation

Biffa14

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:00 PM

if im correct, there is something wrong with the RAID? Did you get to see the motherboards manufacturer name? You should check it out and see if there is anything with troubleshooting with those mirrors. Also, what kind of computer do you have.

#3 Biffa14

Biffa14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:42 PM

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

The motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo4 with an NVIDIA nForce 4 chipset. I have built my own computer so it is not from a particular manufacturer.

I have actually resolved it at long last. :thumbsup: In NVRAID Manager a right click on the mirroring icon allows you (me!) to rebuild the array which is now denoted as healthy as does the RAID setup screen on boot-up.

However, I wish to avoid this happening again. Is it something generic with RAID, what actually happens for the RAID to degrade and are there any actions I can take to make it more robust or is it something I am just going to have live with?

Thanks again

Biffa14

#4 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:13 PM

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

The motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo4 with an NVIDIA nForce 4 chipset. I have built my own computer so it is not from a particular manufacturer.

I have actually resolved it at long last. :thumbsup: In NVRAID Manager a right click on the mirroring icon allows you (me!) to rebuild the array which is now denoted as healthy as does the RAID setup screen on boot-up.

However, I wish to avoid this happening again. Is it something generic with RAID, what actually happens for the RAID to degrade and are there any actions I can take to make it more robust or is it something I am just going to have live with?

Thanks again

Biffa14

Well, I will look into it any post back later tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users