Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't print a: floppy disk or cd file list on point and click wordpr

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:42 PM

I know this seems like a basic question, but I frequently want to print a list of the files on a floppy disk a drive.\

My WP51 dos based work perfect could do this easily.

I find this is not the case on the ridiculous point and click line of wordprocessors, which are also much slower than WP51 Dos Based word processor which has many adherents, including me, and its own web site.

None of my point and click word processors will print a list of files on an a: drive -

I have tried Word, Wordperfect6X, Apache Office, Libre Office and Google docs.

Google docs will print a One Drive, but you have to switch programs to retrieve it.

You would think that the point and click word processors could perform this simple task, but no way.

Wordperfect 6X used to have a PRINT LIST printing selection, but it doesn't come up anymore.

My only thought is to use a Snap Drive program or figure out a way to Print Screen, which, for me, never seems to work.

Am I missing something on these point and click word processors?????? It is very annoying that this

simple task cannot be performed..

If somebody knows better, please give me a reliable answer!

44 Guy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 03:49 PM

Why fuss about it when you can either generate a list of the files in a directory from the command line or do it with a directory printer?  As for directory printers, there must be tons of them.  Here's one article which lists 27 free directory printers.  Among them, you will find one from the late great Karen Kenworthy herself.

I have used FolderStyle before and it works great.  FolderStyle is portable and weighs in at a mere 247KB.

I have linked to Softpedia's listings because FolderStyle appears to be abandoned and Karen's Directory Printer doesn't have a home.  However, neither of these facts affect the respective program's functionality.

#3 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:47 PM

Why fuss about it when you can either generate a list of the files in a directory from the command line or do it with a directory printer?  As for directory printers, there must be tons of them.  Here's one article which lists 27 free directory printers.  Among them, you will find one from the late great Karen Kenworthy herself.

I have used FolderStyle before and it works great.  FolderStyle is portable and weighs in at a mere 247KB.

I have linked to Softpedia's listings because FolderStyle appears to be abandoned and Karen's Directory Printer doesn't have a home.  However, neither of these facts affect the respective program's functionality.

Thank you for a comprehensive response, Agouti.  It is just pathetic that the major word processor programs don't allow you to do this. It only confirms my opinion that dos based WP51 is the best word processor ever made. Try it, you'll like it! 44 Guy

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:13 PM

Maybe that feature isn't supported because they don't think it's a word processing function.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:52 PM

Print Folder, free and fee, will do the job.  I have the Pro pay-for 'cause I can set columns and column widths.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:21 PM

Print Folder, free and fee, will do the job.  I have the Pro pay-for 'cause I can set columns and column widths.

Thanks Roland. Appreciate your advice. 44 Guy

#7 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:24 PM

Maybe that feature isn't supported because they don't think it's a word processing function.

Oh, get serious now. These point and click windows based word processors are simply crap - admit it.

I'm sticking with WP51, as are many others - it's much faster and more comprehensive. Anything microsoft puts out

is loaded with defects and always will be.

44 guy

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

44guy, I am not making an argument for or against any word processor.  I was just offering suggestions and trying to help.

#9 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:45 AM

44guy, I am not making an argument for or against any word processor.  I was just offering suggestions and trying to help.

Agouti, I very much do appreciate your help and responding to inquiries. It sounded like you were making an excuse for these point and click word processors - so I responded plainly. Didn't mean to offend - just stating the facts that ll point and cllick windows based word processors are basically defective in many respects. Unfortunately, most people are too lazy to learn the DOS based WP51, which is much faster once you learn them.  Another reason  for their prevalence is Microsoft's calculated squeezing out of 

DOB based programs, WP51 can be put on the new Windows browsers, however it requires effort and setting up in a virtual sense.

For more on this, See article by Jos. Sharps on installing WP51. You can reach him on the Bleepingcomputer.com web site.

There is also a WP51 web site blog names "wpuniverse.com" and another general word perfect website

called " office community.com". if you are interested.

44guy

44Guy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users