Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Xp Prof And File Systems Of Older Programs Installed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Karen Lee

Karen Lee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:58 PM

Hi All. I have had this computer for about 4 years now and my version of Windows XP Prof is 2002 date.
I recently was told by a computer builder who helped me that Windows XP Prof works on a file system called NTFS. I apparently have files that I copied back onto this computer after installing Windows XPp that are of the Fat32 variety. I was not aware at the time that NTFS and Fat32 apparently are incompatible. I have had problems over these years and have zero'd out my hard drive 3 times and reinstalled Windows XPp from scratch. What I was not aware of was that My versions of Microsoft Word and Word Perfect and some downloaded programs are Fat32. I need these programs and cannot afford to replace them. Yet I am having problems with places like Pogo gaming (where I spend a lot of time) and the applets that run there. I have the latest Sun Java installed but it does not work properly (I have tried all ways till I am blue in the face) unless I ALSO leave MSVM installed (particularly in the registry). I only have the latest Java chosen in the advance tab of tools but without the MSVM installed Pogo does not work at all for me. So I have both with the Java 5.7 chosen as program. But I am told that my computer is confused due to the File system problem. I figure it wouldn't do me much good to zero out my system again if I still have to put my old fat32 files back on here to function. So is there anything I can do. I only have a 20 gb hard drive and there is not room for 2 versions (or two installs) of XPprof on here at one time. I would appreciate anything anyone can tell me regarding this anomaly. And if there is a viable way to fix it.
Thank you
Karen Lee

Mod Edit: Removed unacceptable links. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 05 August 2006 - 12:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:02 PM

How would you have programs that have FAT32 files after you reinstalled XP?
The file system is determined by the operating system - not installed programs, and once you formatted in NTFS everything on the drive would also be NTFS.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:42 AM

Hi Karen Lee.
Your problem with older Win9x programs on XP are not a FAT vs. NTFS issue but rather the way XP itself does the installation routine. For example, older programs for 9x may expect to find a needed file in a given location but XP has changed that location. You can very often work around that issue by running the application in compatibility mode. Navigate to the problem programs file file folder and locate the executable (.exe) file that launches it. Right click it and select properties. Click the "Compatibility" tab.
Put a check in the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" box, then select the OS from the drop down list. Click apply, then ok. You may also need to change the display options in the same dialog box if your resolution and color is set beyond what the program can handle.
These changes will stick every time you launch the program again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users