Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Are "useless" Jobs Paid More Than Others?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:37 PM

I've been thinking about this for a while, and i finally decided to make a thread based on the mel gibson "controversy". My main question here is:

Why are people like pro athletes and actors/actresses paid millions of dollars a year, while teachers, policemen, and firemen can barely scrape by?

I really haven't been able to come up with a logical explanation for why these people make so much money. Sure, sometimes sports events and movies/television can take our minds off the hectic world of work, but there's really nothing else useful (that i can figure, anyway).

The hilarious aspect of this is the amount of complaints i here coming from pro athletes. Here are people that are PAYED to play sports and games that kids all around the world play for fun. Then they have the ego to STRIKE if they feel they're not being payed enough. Awwwwwww, poor babies are only getting $500,000 a game!! That's horrible!!!

Meanwhile, teachers, who are able to distribute the most powerful things humans are capable of (knowledge), are scraping by with a FRACTION of what athletes/actors do. Policemen are the same way, and the same with firefighters. These people are actually saving lives and keeping others safe. So why should they have to struggle to support their families while living in relatively low-level residences? I know not every teacher/policeman faces the same problem, but i know of many that do.

I really do NOT understand why these people have the ability to demand so much money. Any thoughts?

P.S. I assumed this would belong in the speak easy, because i'm not sure of other people's opinions of this.

Edited by jgweed, 06 August 2006 - 11:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:28 AM

THAT is a damn goodquestion. I never thought of that. what does give them the right after all, to command so much money? and not just teachers, policeman, fireman, but men and women in the armed forces as well. They put their life on the line everyday, and in my opinion, do it for dirt cheap wages. Job positions like these should get way more money than an athlete. In my opinion athletes dont deserve NEARas much money. As Heretic said they have "useless jobs". pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

#3 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:29 PM

Awwwwwww, poor babies are only getting $500,000 a game!! That's horrible!!!

That part had me cracking up, lol. Well, I do think that this is a good question but there arent many actors than police, fireman, teachers etc. But making one movie makes millions/billions sometimes. Thats mostly the reason why they get paid so much, on the other hand cops and firemen are risking their lives and actors are only risking about a couple months/years making a movie. Well anyways I agree with you 102%.
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:36 PM

Yeah, i was thinking about the "they sell a ton of movies, so they make a ton of profit" idea, but that had to start somewhere. I'm assuming back in the day when movies first started coming out, actors were paid the same as other careers. However, after selling reel after reel, they realized they had a great way to make money. After that, companies started paying "good" actors more and more to be in their films, so that they can sell their flicks for a nice profit.

I guess the same goes for the athletes as well. The bigger the name of the player, the more people will want to see them, meaning the more teams have to pay to keep them in their club.

Anyway, regardless the reason, i still think it's disgusting how much money these people are payed in comparison to other, way MORE important careers.

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:43 PM

Stop going to movies. If you look at their pay checks and look at yours you can see how the 5 buck movie ticket thats not to bad pays them millions. 21 bucks for a dvd is way way to much.

We get paid 1.20 or so for our milk and it got lowered what we got paid a month ago. Its 4 or more per gallon in the store.

I read for tv shows the actors get paid 40k or more for a season(21 episodes)

The hard jobs like farming(milking cows and raising animals) and construction should get paid a lot. They work way harder than a movie maker who goes out and wastes the money by paying 100k for cars and millions for houses and thousands to clean the huge house.

Its wastefull. If I was a actor i'd live in a 3000sq ft house and still eat and burger king.

#6 Conface

Conface

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:36 PM

Athelete wages:

The reason is because with people who are so excessivly rich owning professional sports teams they can afford to spend a whole crapload of money on players. Tell me what would draw you to a different job? Answer: A bigger paycheque. Players never made as much as they do now and the reason is the the owners offered more and more and more money to the players to bring them into their club and winning them games.

Its pretty simple to see really; would you take a job doing the same thing, but for better pay? I am saying yes, and I am sure that most of you would as well. The thing is that the people who own sports teams are willing to spend more money so that they can win a championship, whereas the people who own the companies that we work for are less willing to pay us more, because they don't generate as much money as a sports team does and their aim is more focused upon maximizing profits in most cases.

Cops and firemen wages.

Police and Fire Fighting forces are run and funded by the government and the government does not have as much money to spend as private owners do. If the Fire Department was a privately run company you would have to pay after they put out the flames that were consuming your house; how absurd does that sound? I find the idea of paying for healthcare very strange, as I have lived in Canada my whole life and I am used to free healthcare.

As for construction workers, I have worked construction before and made good money for just lifting stuff and sweeping floors all day. Some trades get paid quite well and if you own a contracting company you are in the money. Construction workers don't get paid all that bad, except for the labourers, but they don't do much and unfortunately are not the brightest people...

#7 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:11 AM

Personally I am far more disturbed by the amount of money absorbed by upper administration in this country. Corporate executives’ salaries continue to rise, while wages continue to fall. School administrators soak up 6 digit salaries while budget cuts increase the ratio of students to instructors. Administration costs in the healthcare industry continue to rise even though millions of Americans can't afford health insurance.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#8 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:04 PM

I think the biggest annoyance, apart from an ego, when seeing the news or channel surfing is how every single thing about these actors/athletes are talked about. I mean good lord, people look up to them but there has to be a fine line between looking up to them and too much poking around into their every day life. I pity actors/athletes in that way, I'm thankful that every action I do isn't broadcast around the country and any sign of anger at the people 'spying' on me and it only makes it 10 times worse.

I do pity them in that respect but it annoys me when you hear about somebody complaining that "oh, I want another 2 million dollars or else I wont sign this contract". They're obviously successful and they do have a limit to which thats a good excuse but jeese, I'd be excited if I ever got $500 for doing something (apart from recieving a paycheck from working at a place) let alone what 2 million would feel like and still, that extra two million would be on top of what, another forty million dollars?

I must agree about firefighters and police men and women that those are government jobs and there probably isn't anything that we can really do about it but still, I think that these people should be getting some more money for the work they do and things they have to put up with, not a lot of actors/athletes

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:06 PM

Its wastefull. If I was a actor i'd live in a 3000sq ft house and still eat and burger king.

Exactly. However, I might have a slighting bigger house, but I wouldn't change what I like. I'd still like eating Subway. Just because you have a lot of money doesn't mean you have to waste it on overpriced and wastefull material.

#10 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:32 PM

Hmmm ... a 'sports star' or a plumber when we need one.

Guess the whole thing just goes to show that in our society, we tend to value less the jobs that truly made our lives so much better/easier/safer.

Does say much about our society as a 'whole', does it. Gentle sigh.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#11 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:53 PM

Well, it is America's fault. We are consumed by materials and entertainment. Every time you watch a movie or game on tv, buy a movie ticket, or go to a professional game, you are only fueling the fire. Not only this, watching sports is a way of life for many Americans. I personally know that at least half of the people I work with during the summer change their lives when football season starts. I'm sure you've heard the reports of the production loss that businesses are suffering due to online fantasy football (I am actually doing it right now). The American people are paying the exorbiant salaries that you are complaining about.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:05 PM

Too add some twists:

The actors, actresses, and sports players that make mega-bucks are actually the minority in these professions. There are many people in these fields that are worse off financially than many teachers.

Other things to consider: Travel requirements with the job takes money. The living expenses in the places where the jobs are good in these professions are much higher. Public image: expectations of what they should look like costs money to create and maintain that image.

That said, I have a rather jaundiced view of anyone that makes mega-bucks and think he or she doesn't have enough. To be quite honest, I have a jaundiced view of anyone that makes mega-bucks whether they complain or not, especially when I know that the number of people living below the government poverty level has increased in the past few years from about 5% to over 10%, and that level has not increased since the late 1980's. The poverty level for a family of 3 is about $16,000 per year.

Also, I agree with locally pwned: I am far more disturbed by the millions and billions absorbed by the upper administration than I am with the wages of a few actors, actresses and sports-players.

By the way: a lot of the money spent on a DVD doesn't go to the artist: it goes to distributors and publishing companies. The artist gets a very small fraction of the money from a CD or DVD sale, and it is very difficult for new artists to get their music etc. out because of the strangle hold of the media distribution companies.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 deerhitter

deerhitter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

Ill tell you the reason why they get paid more.  ITS PURE GREED. They like to screw people over. Greedy from the top leaks to the bottom. Government to idiots. some programs are good like s.s.i. where when someone else in society screw's your life up at least you can get a bit of it back. but football no actor's no video game's no  all three are just time killers because practically ever town is a death trap of boredom how a town is built is stupid nothing is planned out at all....like self sustain order to the number of people...like farm wise how much will they need to survive water collection....sewer control and maintenance of the pipe's before they break 30 yrs old never inspected till a sinkhole opens up or rancid smell hits the air.......ALL PURE GREED. high number's with the lowest cost to profit from. they can hire other people but they want that house that's bigger then your to rub it in your face. when you insult someone you should have your ass kicked in my book! id be glad to do it to tell them what there doing wrong and it don't get fixed all hell will break lose. but then there's the problem of going to jail. cops have to work somewhere why not protecting the idiot's who in turn make life miserable. if I wanted to waste my time I would listen to the Obama gun control policy violating the constitution.

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Sorry, but pure greed it isn't - it's simple economics and the law of supply and demand. I can't speak for the US, I don't live there, but there about 60 million people in the UK, 2 or 3,000 play professional football (soccer) and of these perhaps 10 or 20 are of world class. Every club wants world class players, so their wages get bid up, the poor ones get laid off at the end of the season.

At the present going wages for teachers, firemen and soldiers, there are sufficient applications for the jobs available, theefore there is no pressure on the employers to bid wages up.

If you wish to increase the wages for these classes of workers, all you have to do is to encourage fewer applications for the available jobs !

Chris Cosgrove

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

I get tired of people mad at people just because theyre rich. Welcome to capitalism-people offer a service, and they get paid for it. How much they get paid for it, depends on how much people like that service, and how hard that person works to provide it. Yes, movie stars, professional athletes, they get rich, because its a service, everyone wants and is willing to pay for, while they take police officers for granted. If firement started charging to put out fires, theyd probably get paid more. Its how a capitalist society works. And, if you want a healthy economy, it has to work that way. You can't regulate how much a person makes from a government perspective-once you take away the rich persons ability to make money, then you take away the will to succeed-the rich people will either move away, or stop trying to be rich, which will actually hurt the economy. Think about it. Yes, that sports athlete gets paid big bucks. But 9 times out of 10 they spend big to. They buy big houses-which pays the realtor. They buy fancy cars, which puts money in the car salesmens pocket. They have to maintain that car and that property-which puts money in other peoples pockets. They hire private security. Which, puts money in those peoples pockets. all this spending, keeps the economy flowing-take that away, and your going to be left with less and less spending, and fewer and fewer jobs. Just look at how many jobs a football stadium, by itself, adds to a local economy. Does it seem fair? no not at all. But, it is an important part of keeping an economy going.

Trying to control this from a government level-by equalizing the pay-just removed the will to succeed, the rich will go elsewhere or stop trying so hard, and will start not working for their money. Which means theyre not paying that realtor for that house, theyre not paying any taxes, or anything else, which means those that dont want to work-will no longer be getting their welfare check, and in the end you will find a totally bankrupt country, with no one willing to work. Its why communism doesn't work. Its why the USSR fell. If you want to change this, instead trying to get the government to regulate the rich, why don't you take that money that you would normally spend on a superbowl ticket, or your cable bill which you use to watch all these professional athletes and actors, and give it to your local police station, teacher, or firefighter. if everyone who believed that "actors get paid to much" were to stop spending money on movies, television, and sports, and give them to their local emergency response crews and education people, you would not only see well funded police stations, firefighters, and teachers who could actually afford to go out to eat-but you would see the people in the useless jobs-doing something different in order to make money.

Tired of the useless jobs? take away the demand for them. You regulate them, and it will come back and bite you. You take away the demand for them, and it will help.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users