Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SSD drive transfer old to new

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Poppys

Poppys

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:12 AM

hi there, hope you can help.

purchased a new SSHD which is 1tb, I want to be able to clone, the existing hard drive including the operating system over to the new SSHD, and then be able to boot up from the SSHD, but still keep the old drive. 

I tried using two different programmes EaseUS Todo and aomei backup they both managed to transfer everything over, but I have not been able to successfully boot up from the new harddrive, even though I have set it in the bios , and have tried disconnecting the original drive.

I tried using my windows 7 disk to do a repair as I read that this could be used for boot repairs, but it doesn't even recognise that windows 7 is installed on the new hard drive so cannot repair it.

if you need any further information let me know, hopefully all this makes sense.

many thanks for your help :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:41 AM

If you did a clone I would try creating a complete disk image to an external drive. Then recover the image to the new SSD using the bootable media that aoemi and Easeus provides.

Another option would be to use Aoemi's Partition Assistant to copy partitions or the disk from the one SSD to the other.

http://www.disk-partition.com/copy-disk-partition-wizard.html

#3 Poppys

Poppys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:45 AM

thank you very much I will give that a go tomorrow and will let you know how I get on :)

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:56 PM

Hi What brand SSD did You Buy, Samsung, and Intel have free programs to do the transfer. I have and use both brands and their Software works. So I suggest checking with the drive maker for software.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 03:25 PM

I am interested in this subject as I have a computer I will upgrading the HDD to an SSD and am researching instructions on how to do so.

I use Macrium Reflect Free for my system image backups very successfully

You mention "EaseUS Todo and aomei"; I don't like to assume anything but I suspect you are using their free versions.

I'm sure someone else can chime in on this as this is my opinion at this time not knowing the facts yet.

I just read MR's instructions and the way I understand it, the free version does clone for free

But it takes the paid version for the cloned drive to be bootable as dissimilar hardware.

So maybe the issue is dealing with dissimilar hardware.

#6 Poppys

Poppys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:03 PM

Hi there, it is a Seagate , and i just had a quick look at their website and your right they do have software on there, so i will have a better look at that tommorow.

yes both of the programmes were the free versions however the Todo one is a 30 day free trial , you could be right though i will have to a read through and see if they mention this in their guides and check their forums also :)

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:32 PM

Hi there, it is a Seagate , and i just had a quick look at their website and your right they do have software on there, so i will have a better look at that tommorow.

yes both of the programmes were the free versions however the Todo one is a 30 day free trial , you could be right though i will have to a read through and see if they mention this in their guides and check their forums also :)

Hi

I hope The Seagate Software works for You

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:19 AM

After reviewing what's going on I don't think dissimilar hardware is an issue

I've seen many posts in which cloning from a HDD to an SSD (in your case an SSHD) were successful

#9 Poppys

Poppys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:37 AM

Hi there, :) just an update I used the Seagate software, and it worked perfectly !

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:40 PM

Hi there, :) just an update I used the Seagate software, and it worked perfectly !

Hi

Thank You for the Update, Hopefully it will help someone else at some point.

Have a Good Day

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:54 PM

Thanks Poppys, your information is helpful for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users