Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1 Gb fiber-optic internet install ...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lleez

lleez

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:15 AM

I am installing a fiber line from street to basement.  I'm going to need to run everything wirelessly due to issues getting the cable into the upstairs bedroom to connect to primary computer via ethernet.  I have a Dell with a less-than-reliable wireless card, so I'm definitely going to install a more powerful pcie card. 

My question is, should I buy a good 811ac router and pcie wifi card compatible with 811ac (most of my other devices will be backward compatible, I believe, other than my galaxy s7) ... I'm reading mixed reviews for this technology and seeing lots of bugs, etc.  I just want to get the most of out my fiber line and I'm really excited to get something faster than Comcast or Centurylink 10Mbps and constant buffering and terrible customer service.

Reading the throughput numbers for the 811ac (I realize I'm going to be getting 1/2 or less speed wirelessly and that's ok) it seems a no-brainer to go this route.  If it's a bad idea, however, I'll just stick to 811n and will probably still be satisfied with the lower speed compared to what I'm getting now.

Lastly, can anyone recommend a specific router?  My house is about 1300 square feet up and down.  The router is being placed in the center of the basement in a utility closet.  

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:47 AM

unclear where you are getting the idea of half speed with ac.  Perhaps you are speaking of distance since ac indoor has 115 ft whereas n has 230 ft.  Center of the house should give you great coverage depending on building materials.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

Personally I would go with ac and buy ac adapters for everything that would take them.  TPlink and Dlink routers have been great for me.  I can get my sons tplink router from two houses down/across the street.  I'm impressed with that.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 16 April 2016 - 10:47 AM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:38 PM

Hi

I second Wand3r3r's suggestion to go all 801.11ac, Get the speed You are paying for.

I would not go back to the older 802.11n and 2.4Mhz band except temporarily if the router or adapter were to go bad, I did keep the old ones as a backup.

As an alternative to a Internal card You could do what I do and use 802.11ac with a USB adapter. Also I get much better speed using the 5Mhz band.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users