Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ruminations on Win 10 (Home) updates - ugh!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:53 AM

My system is Lenovo ThinkPad X201 laptop tablet i7 2.0Ghz 4GB DDR Ram 

I had the November Cumulative Update first on 9 March and again on March 13 and now again today 16 April. These have the same KB3147458.

This one took about 15 mins to get to the needed restart.  I saw at that time in 'Installed updates' that only a security update for Adobe Flash was listed with today's date.

So restarting I got to 'Gettings Windows Ready  - Don't turn off your computer.'  This took 1 hour 10 mins. until the next message of 'Restarting'.  Can this time be right?

The 'Restarting' went on for 1 hour 35 mins. until I got fed up and pressed the off button. So I have been unable to use the computer for 3 hours. 

Switching on again I am online but have seen a bad change in one application so far.

I say, anyone for Linux? (If you get the allusion)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:22 AM

These forced updates on Windows 10 is a freaking joke. Look at the problems people are getting after an update. I am already on linux on one computer and the rest will follow once support ends.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:30 AM

The new update regimen is working perfectly smoothly for the vast majority of Windows 10 users or the tech press would be having a field day with it.

Using posts on bleepingcomputer as a metric for how awful something may be is fraught with error since the reason most turn here is because something has gone wrong for them.  This is not unlike automotive forums where the vast majority of traffic is about fixing one thing or another.  Places that you turn for help in case of trouble are completely unrepresentative of any given population as a whole.

That being said, there have been some installations of Win10, particularly if done via the upgrade process, that were cursed from the outset.  Usually the best thing you can do for these is to back up your user data files and do a completely fresh install via media you create using the Media Creation Tool.  You can (and probably should) try running DISM [three steps much discussed here] first, then try a Reset install with "keep my files" second, and a Reset install not keeping anything third before resorting to a from scratch install.

I have yet to hear from a single client of mine that's using Windows 10 that they are having any issue with the automatic updates and I've had only one, very early on, and it was patched far more promptly than these sorts of things have been in the past, which I chalk up to the system health telemetry monitoring as updates roll out.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for that comment.

To upgrade another Win 7 computer to Win 10 I have made a Win 10 ISO DVD from an MS site, not yet used, but without any mention of the Media Creation Tool - I hadn't heard of it.  Is that DVD I have the same or nearly the same thing? (rather off topic)

Edited by zzzz, 16 April 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:02 AM

If you downloaded the Windows 10 iso from Microsoft then it will be the same as using the Media Creation Tool. Direct Downloads of isos can be done at the techbench site.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

#6 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for that.

Actually I have found Win 10 to be working well until it seems to be not working and I find out some updates are being done behind my back. But then at times I get a pop up saying that updates are ready - oh no that's on my Win 7 machine!

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:45 PM

The problem with ISOs is the version of Windows you're starting out with depends on when the ISO was downloaded.

If you've burned this very recently you're probably good.  If not, I'd do a fresh download from either the Media Creation Tool site or Tech Bench and burn a new one before proceeding.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:26 AM

A good tip. That consideration had crossed my mind. I made my ISO aout 3 weeks ago and thought if somewhat out of date an update would fix that.

I'm thinking of delaying that update so will make a newer ISO.

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 03:13 PM

The official ISO for Windows 10 has not changed since November 2015.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 03:33 PM

I downloaded the official Windows 10 ISO yesterday and it was build 10586.104, which I believe was released 2/9/2016.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:33 PM

I've also downloaded more than one ISO for Win10 and I can say, with assurance, that these are kept updated relatively closely behind the "major dot" releases when Microsoft decides it's worth it within a given major build number and definitely change even more promptly when the major build number changes.

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 FluffyPup

FluffyPup

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:58 PM

This one took about 15 mins to get to the needed restart.  I saw at that time in 'Installed updates' that only a security update for Adobe Flash was listed with today's date.

So restarting I got to 'Gettings Windows Ready  - Don't turn off your computer.'  This took 1 hour 10 mins. until the next message of 'Restarting'.  Can this time be right?

The 'Restarting' went on for 1 hour 35 mins. until I got fed up and pressed the off button. So I have been unable to use the computer for 3 hours

You are right.  This is an essential basic concept that Microsoft chooses to not understand.

Simply because MSFT analytic has assessed I can do with out my computer for the next  hour, two hours or even five min, doesn't mean that it is not critical RIGHT NOW for me to have computer access.  Geeh.  Analytics wrong?  How could that be?

This, IMO is MSFT biggest and most arrogant error.

Just my perspective, but I drink out of a water bowl.

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:39 AM

I downloaded the official Windows 10 ISO yesterday and it was build 10586.104, which I believe was released 2/9/2016.

But the official ISO has not changed one bit. What you install into your computer is not just on the ISO.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:09 PM

@Rocky Bennett

But the official ISO has not changed one bit.
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611330/ruminations-on-win-10-home-updates-ugh/#entry3981953

You've checked?

According to Microsoft, build 10586.104 came out in February, and that is the build currently offered when downloading the ISO (I have checked). Having not downloaded a copy of the ISO in November, I cannot personally confirm what build was offered at that time, but according to Microsoft build 10586.14 was released in November, so the ISO at that time could not have been newer than build 10586.14, according to Microsoft's information. Do you have a November ISO? If yes, what build number is it?

What you install into your computer is not just on the ISO.
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611330/ruminations-on-win-10-home-updates-ugh/#entry3981953

While you can enable downloading updates during the installation (recommended by MS), which will give you an up-to-date Windows installation, you aren't required to do this. You can install only what is on the ISO.

When checking build numbers I verify the ISOs using a machine with no internet/network connection, so the build number I get is the build number of just what is on the ISO.

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:34 PM

OK, I checked for myself and the ISO has been updated. I don't know how often the ISO gets updated or if it even makes a difference (if you have internet connection), but you might as well stay current.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users