Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Problem?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Heartsongs777

Heartsongs777

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:44 AM

Hello all,

I'm in the process of putting together some old PC systems that I have this being the first of several.

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 Desktop Computer with a Pentium 4 processor. I'm using the original motherboard, CD ROMS (2) Master & Slave, and the original case. I also am using the built in Video card. I have not installed any other card yet. Not till I hopefully get past this first issue.

When I boot with any of the memory sticks, I get a blank screen. Now in the back of the unit I have 4 lights, A-B-C-D that show error codes. On 3 of the 4 memory sticks I used, (using only 1 at a time), the first two lights, A & B are yellow, and C & D are green. The service manual states: "Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred." .

I also get some "beep codes" when I boot up as well. It seems like I hear  "1 - 3 - 2"

The closest to the code I found was the following: "1-3-1 through 2-4-4" which means: "Memory not being properly identified or used"

The 4th one gave me A & C were green, and B & D were yellow which translates: "configuration or compatibility error exists".

The beep codes seemed to stay the same.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I can't even get to my bios.

I'm almost certain the memory I have is fine, but just in case, I'll confirm it by finding another board that I can test them in and make sure they check out ok. 

What would be my next step with my memory checking out ok in another system? 

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:42 PM

if your memory tests out fine in another system, then your motherboard is toast. Problem is, either way, unless you have access to old parts, that system probably isnt worth spending the money on it, you can buy another used 4600 for $60 online, and thats about how much another motherboard or ram from that era will cost.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 03:28 PM

I'd begin with a CMOS battery replacement if you haven't already.  Then, with one memory card inserted and video from the onboard port if it has one, not the plug in card.  Actually, remove the video card while trying to get the BIOS display on the screen. 

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:22 PM

That Pc is from 2003 and not only requires PC2700 memory; but, also further, must be low density meaning the dimm's ought to have 8-16+ memory chips mounted on them or they probably won't work.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 Heartsongs777

Heartsongs777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:27 AM

Thank you everyone for your help. I'm still working on this PC I just haven't had the time to respond back to everyone yet.

I hope to be able to post my findings later today or tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your help!

Heartsongs777

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users