Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB mouse stops working randomly

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:07 PM

So I'm having an issue with a USB mouse. It works fine for a bit but, after a few hours or so, it suddenly stops. Before this, it also tends to freeze randomly for brief moments and the USB plug sound sometimes goes off with for apparent reason. The only way I've found to fix it is to restart the computer. Other USB devices seem to work fine and the malfunction might be related to computer temperature.

Is this something I can fix, or should I just buy a new mouse?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Beings

Beings

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:57 AM

What mouse is this? A gaming mouse or just a normal mouse? 

Also, have a look below the mouse to see if any lights appear. Try the mouse on another computer. 

#3 RekNepZ

RekNepZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 03:40 PM

I think it's a normal mouse. Strangely, when the mouse fails the light stays on and device manager still finds it.

#4 Beings

Beings

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:23 AM

I believe that the mouse is losing power but holding enough for the LEDs to stay on. But this also can be a driver problem. Try rolling back the driver update in Device Manager or test the mouse on another computer. 

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:43 AM

Install latest version of mouse driver and turn off power management of the mouse. Open Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc from Device Manager expand "Mice and other pointing devices" double click your mouse brand name and from its properties sheet uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box from "Power Management" tab

Posted Image

#6 RekNepZ

RekNepZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:36 AM

There's no power management tab for the mouse and I don't have access to another computer right now. There also doesn't appear to be a "roll back driver" option.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:43 AM

If it does not have a Power Management tab then mouse is not recognized as USB plug and play device. Visit mouse manufacturer website and if they have a driver for your mouse install it. You can also try reinstalling the mouse driver by uninstalling the mouse driver from Device Manager and soon as you plug mouse into USB port Windows O/S will reinstall the generic driver for your mouse.

Edited by FreeBooter, 17 April 2016 - 10:45 AM.

Posted Image

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:46 AM

This page shows how to enable USB selective suspend. You want to make sure it is disabled.

http://www.howto-connect.com/windows-10-usb-selective-suspend/

#9 RekNepZ

RekNepZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:48 AM

This page shows how to enable USB selective suspend. You want to make sure it is disabled.

http://www.howto-connect.com/windows-10-usb-selective-suspend/

I'll try that, and then FreeBooter's suggestion if it doesn't work.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:00 AM

There has been no mention of the specific computer hardware involved, either, and that can be critically important.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop that I bailed on Windows 10 simply because no compatible driver could be found for the ALPS Electric mousepad and using an external mouse, no matter the driver, resulted in behavior as described so far in this thread.

Not that I can be certain that it applies here, but it can be said with certainty that some older hardware will not be compatible with Windows 10.  Some have had luck in eventually finding drivers that work, others have not.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:16 PM

It is really difficult to troubleshoot this issue unless you plug the mouse in to another computer, or plug another mouse in to yours.  If the mouse is several years old, it could just be that the mouse is dying.  :(

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users