Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can we have a new pinned topic here please, a list of GWX prevention tips

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:47 AM

OK, there's LOADS of people who ask about removal and prevention of GWX, can a pinned topic please be set up in this thread with lists of updates to avoid and lists of removal tactics. It could be a locked topic to ensure it stays as a simple list of practical tips and doesn't become a debate which would just make it harder for users need to find the crucial information, but it would be helpful if users who learnt of new anti-gwx measures and listed new unwelcome updates could PM a moderator with a "please add this to the GWX prevention pinned topic" request.

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 15 April 2016 - 11:47 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:46 AM

I think installing the GWX Control Panel is about all you need to know, isn't it?

I've installed it on 32 PCs running Windows 7 and 8.1 and have only found one thing to watch out for.  Just be sure you copy it to your hard drive.  If you install it from a flash drive, the entry in the registry points to the flash drive, and subsequent removal of the flash drive will cause it not to be loaded when you reboot.  That's easy to fix though, just copy it to the hard drive (anywhere), and do a quick reinstall.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,268 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:46 PM

Niweg,

I agree, or you can use Never10 instead of GWX Control Panel.  Both work and both are being maintained in such a way that they are keeping on top of the various KB updates that would place GWX (Get Windows Ten [X]) on someone's computer.

Either one eliminates any GWX related items that are already there and then blocks updates that attempt to install it or download the Windows 10 update files which, while they won't run themselves, take up space.  Why reinvent the wheel?

Edited by britechguy, 16 April 2016 - 05:48 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:49 AM

rp88, thank you for the suggestion but that is something we are not doing at this time.

#5 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:23 AM

I think installing the GWX Control Panel is about all you need to know, isn't it?

I've installed it on 32 PCs running Windows 7 and 8.1 and have only found one thing to watch out for.  Just be sure you copy it to your hard drive.  If you install it from a flash drive, the entry in the registry points to the flash drive, and subsequent removal of the flash drive will cause it not to be loaded when you reboot.  That's easy to fix though, just copy it to the hard drive (anywhere), and do a quick reinstall.

+1

Have installed this on several computers since it came out (late 2015-ish?) and have not had a single issue.

It's been a real blessing and has kept my friends and family from calling...as much as they used to.   :lol:

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:37 AM

There's nothing that prevents you from creating a such guide in the Mini guides and how-tos - Simple answers to common questions section and/or the Microsoft Windows Mini-Guides subsection.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users