Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clearing temp files on a live linux USB

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:23 AM

OK, I booted my live linux USB today, it has about 50 megabytes of free space left, last time I used it there was about 70 megabytes free. All I've done in the intervening time is browse the internet with it and use it to view some copies of files on my harddrive, I haven't as far as I know actually saved any more stuff to the live USB in this period.

On windows if this happened to me I would use CCleaner to clear my temp files and internet cache and such, and it would probably free up maybe 40megabytes of space or more, much more on windows actually because on windows temp files and the cache stack up far more quickly.

What is the equivalent of this action on a live linux USb stick? How do I clear temp files and the internet cache, I know firefox lets you clear some of the cache but often it doesn't do this entirely and space is still taken p by things like thumbnails of pages you've visited until one runs a full clearing of temp files. Effectively, does a live linux Mint MATE 32 bit USB have anything built into linux mint that performs similar functions to CCleaner with a similarly simple to understand user interface?

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 15 April 2016 - 11:25 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:06 PM

Which distro ?

Generally speaking Linux does a pretty good job of automatically cleaning out temp files itself.

The following page has a few suggestions for freeing up space on Mint ... https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/4 ... not all of which will be applicable to your situation. Personally I recommend you do the minimum you need to, to free up the space you need.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:43 PM

linux Mint MATE 32 bit USB

Thanks

I guess this is a LinuxLiveUSB and NO Persistence right?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:28 PM

There is persistence on this live USB.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:01 PM

Since you ask for a CCleaner equivalent...

Install BleachBit but only check browser items and things you are really sure of...
Like with all cleaners: Use at your own risk! (BTW: I use BleachBit all the time...)
Research or ask if you're unsure!

Install via the terminal:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bleachbit

Good luck!  :wink:

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:21 PM

So this USB has been Updated and Upgraded?

For now would just clear the Browser cache.

I think you are taking the wrong approach (respectively) if the USB is big enough you should just make the Persistence file Bigger.

This will be good for you if your USB is big enough, if you need help just say the word!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/406036/cheesemakers-linux-corner/page-228#entry3876864

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:37 PM

There is some good info at this Thread also:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/605768/hoovering-linux-housekeeping-benefits/

Here is a SS of my last LiveUSB with Persistence.  The 12.96 Partition is my Persistence one.  As you can see it has plenty of space.  Don't remember if it was Updated and Upgraded, don't think so, it was all to slow on my system, and was a slow USB. 

1VoNvxv.png

Edited by pcpunk, 21 April 2016 - 04:40 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:32 PM

I and many other users of ubuntu have had bleach bit trash our systems. Some reviews from software center:
Ran this once, not as root. I had to cancel the process because it locked up after 3 hours. It created a folder in home directory that could not be deleted and took up at least 8gb of space. After a month, it still sits in the Trash bin and cannot be removed. I have to delete everything by bypassing the trash folder now. It doesn't even generate a bug report.

I did read the reviews of it not working, but they were half a year ago, and I didn't know what version of Ubuntu they were using. I thought it might have been fixed in 14.04. It's not. When I used bleachbit I started with 780 GB of free space. I let it run for a while, and when I checked Deluge, I had only 193 GB of space left! I stopped it immediately before I ran completely out of room. I tried to search for files over 1 GB trying to find out where this missing data is. It doesn't show any files over 4GB on my system, so there must be about a billion small files. I searched the web for about an hour, and I can't find a solution. I'll just reinstall Ubuntu rather than waste any more time.

Plus, the install size of bleach bit would probably be bigger than the space it would save you on such a small instance.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users