Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:29 PM

I always read how people "overclocked" their cards, what does that mean, and how do I do it?

also, what are the pros and cons if you know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:10 PM

Its kind of like tweaking your Videos card for better performance. Hope this Site answers your questions.
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#3 Seth_z

Seth_z

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:22 PM

BE CAREFUL if you do any over clocking with anything. It's easy to burn out your card/computer if you don't know what your doing. And if they find out it was burned out because of that, warrantys won't cover it. Your card is set to a certain speed already by the manufacture that they consider "safe", over clocking is pushing it beyond that.

The site listed above seems to be a good one for any questions you might have :thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:38 PM

The site that Nat Sci provided is only about overclocking graphic cards, and that's only the tip of the iceberg. When the term overclocking to used most people will think of CPUs, but you can also overclock RAM as well as your graphic cards.

For a better understanding read more here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:24 AM

When you overclock a CPU/GPU. You basicly just increase the voltage of processor. Same with Memory. Some people overclock the memory of their graphic cards. But when you overclock there are risks.

-==Risks==-
1, Overclocking causes your CPU/GPU to make more heat, and could potentionaly over heat.
2, Instability due ot many reasons.
3, Most warrenties on CPU's/GPU's don't cover it if you overclock it.
4, More heat with make you CPU/GPU not last as long, computer componants like the cold, your CPU would actually probably perform slightly better under somethign like -86C( That'd freeze your hand off )
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:00 PM

I wasnt really planning on doing it. It just annoyed that I didnt know what it meant lol.

#7 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:04 PM

Overclocking is when you make the speed of your CPU go higher than what the orginial manufacturer intended to go. Normally the company doesnt back it up if you overclock the CPU. Companies like Falcon Northwest and I believe, Alienware, do however, have that in their warranty and you can overclock them with no problem.

Usually you can set the clock speed, if the BIOS lets you, in the BIOS screen. By pressing F1 I believe.

#8 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:58 PM

Most standerd processor have their multipliers locked tight. So if you want to overclock them you have to raise the speed of everything else ( your FSB, front side bus ) But some of the hig hend chips like the Pentium extreme edition, the top end Core 2 chip and the AMD FX line have them unlocked. There's a big risk in overclocking your FSB, your RAM, video card may become much more unstable.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users