Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cracked Me Os Disk! Do I Buy A Full Version Of Xp?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:07 PM

MY main question is -- is it time to buy a full version of xp. I am afraid my disc will blow apart the next time I need it. My disc has 3 cracks in it and I am not sure how this occurred. Or would it be more ecomomical in the long run to just buy a new computer with XP already installed. I see the full version is almost as much as a low grade computer. The low grades are much better than my 5 year old model. I have a Micron with an AMD Duron 700hz. I think maybe I am answering my own question just by thinking about the speed I am lacking compared to todays models. I know no one seems to like ME, and I have had problems with my computer all the last 5 years but I found out after a while that a new 512 stick of ram that I bought the same day and at the same place I bought my computer was bad. It failed all the ram tests I threw at it. I sent it back and got another one under the lifetime warranty and it too, failed all tests. I told the company to not bother sending my anything anymore unless it actuall works so they finally sent one that passes Memtest86.
I have been using bad ram I think for a long time and I always blamed Me. Now :thumbsup: Me has been working fine with the new ram. Any thoughts are welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:24 PM

I was in Sam's Club yesterday and saw a retail version of XP Home sp2 for $85. I doubt you can get a copy of ME for less than $50 after shipping. With your system you should have little if any problems running XP. I have been using XP Pro on a Dell GX1 500Mhz for over 3 years now. If you decide to buy new, build yourself a computer. It will save several hundred dollars. Easily the difference for the cost of a copy of XP Home or Pro.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 oldBear

oldBear

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:36 PM

While I agree that building your own is a good solution for a somewhat technically savvy user, I'm not sure it's the best advice for someone who is "afraid my disc will blow apart the next time I need it. My disc has 3 cracks in it and I am not sure how this occurred.". I'm also not sure it will be the most cost effective solution. The "big boys" buy in such volume that they can build and sell a PC for less than you and I can buy the parts. However if you want to become something more than just a "user", it's definitely the way to go.

cheers all

Edited by oldBear, 04 August 2006 - 10:37 PM.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:18 PM

If you are afraid that your disk will blow up next time, then dont use it.
Given that, you are going to have to buy a new copy of the XP cd irregardless. You have an AMD Duron 700hz system. It is starting to show its age.
Might be better to build yourself a new one if you are tech savvy.
That way you can pick and choose components. If you opt to go that way get a good motherboard and video card. NVidia video card recommended
But if you decide to get a "brand name" computer get a Dell.
You can purchase an OEM XP cd from them for ten bucks.
(But you already paid for it in the first place)
Compaq, HP and Emachines do not provide an original XP cd. Instead they use a restoratoin partition.
When your hard drive fails, one day out of warranty you will be glad that you built it yourself!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 02:41 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks acklan, oldBear and Eyesee. I think I would like to try to build but need a little more savvy than I posses at this time. I have learned a lot from all of your responses.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:47 AM

There are partly pre-assembled "bare bones" systems available but it is really easy to assemble a pc.

Just follow directions.

The bottom of the line offerings are very cheap - seen some for $199 including XP (imaged) and they will have technology far more advanced than yours, but the problem comes in if you want expansion capability.

If you just want to use it as is, maybe add just a dvd burner or such, the cheapies are a heck of a deal.
look at some on newegg.com and tigerdirect.com

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 August 2006 - 05:48 AM.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:36 PM

I was just reviewing members post, where they bought a new Mac. They are enjoying the adventure of a new OS. I was wondering if you would be up to a similar challenge. Try one of the Live Linux flavors. Most are only 40 to 200 mbs and will run from a RAM-Drive and not even install to your HD. Of course you could install them if you want to but you do not have to. I prefer Puppy Linux but there are dozen of different flavors. Ubuntu, Knoppix, DSL (Damn Small Linux). I like the multisession Puppy. With a CD\DVD burner you can run it and save the settings\data\programs onto the same CD. I use the same CD at home and on my work PC without installing to a HD.
Just one more option, and as always the Linux is free.

EDIT: If that computer is still in good shape add another computer don't get rid of the older computer. It is never a bad idea to have a spare.

Edited by acklan, 05 August 2006 - 08:41 PM.

#8 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:36 AM

I have more to think about now than when I started this topic. Choices are good. Free sounds good. Adventure sounds good. I think I would like to try to build and I know I would get immense satisfaction from it.
I would like to try Linux as well. However I'm going to have to pace myself. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and wind up being a regular on BC doing 20 topics per day for the next 6 months. I have been a computer user for many years and have lived with the answer " I don't know why or how" about my computer for just as long. Now that I have found BC, it is time to get some answers and to learn. BC is GREAT! I have learned so much already just by reading all the posts on various topics. As a matter of fact I've spent so much time here already that my eyes are burning. Thankyou Enthusiast and acklan for the last two posts.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:44 AM

FYI: There is medication to ease the addiction.

#10 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:19 AM

About RAM, funny you mention blaming ME for hardware problems, I have seen the same thing. My mother-in-law had a Gateway with Win ME, it started crashing. She handed it over to an IT pro she knew, he maintains the comps in a county health dept. He ended up wiping the drive and installing Win2K on it, he was so sure ME was the problem. Naturally the crashes continued with the new OS, eventually the MIL got another PC out of sheer desperation and gave me the Gateway. Memtest found the bad stick of RAM in 10 minutes. I handed the comp on to my youngest son.

Despite this story I agree with Acklan, whether you build a new box or not there's no point buying another ME disk. My daughter has my old computer, it's 5 yrs old Duron 600. I upgraded it to 384 megs of ram and it runs XP fine. Wouldn't do for games or video editing of course, but for her student stuff perfectly OK.

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:00 AM

Re the RAM problem: I don't know what kind you're buying, but I've never had a bad stick of RAM. My favorite is Corsair Value Select. Good price, and good RAM.

But I'm thinking that perhaps it is not the RAM that's bad - maybe it's the RAM slot. They do fail. I'd lay odds that the computer isn't worth fixing, given its age.

It's also remotely possible that you're not handling the RAM carefully enough - you must ground yourself before taking the RAM out of its protective packaging. This means touching metal like the computer's frame first, then unwrap the RAM. It's quite easy to destroy RAM with static electricity from your body.

Re the cracked disk - don't ever put a cracked disk in a CD-Rom - they spin very, very fast - it's possible to literally explode a disk that isn't cracked, let alone one that is.

There are a number of interesting instances of exploding CDs on the web. Here's one. And here's a page that's quite amusing - especially if you can view the video. Kids, definitely do not try this at home!

#12 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:28 AM

Re the cracked disk - don't ever put a cracked disk in a CD-Rom - they spin very, very fast - it's possible to literally explode a disk that isn't cracked, let alone one that is.

I once copied a cd that was cracked on the edge. When I selected the speed, told it to burn at a slow rate and luckily it copied alright. Oh, and put a little superglue on the crack (very little though) to make sure it stayed together. Like I said, I was lucky. :thumbsup:

#13 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:37 PM

I usually use a ground strap when installing ram or touch my free hand on the case. Even if I ruined my ram by my own fault my point is that Me was not the cause of my freeze ups. My computer has never ever ran better than it is today. The ram I used the past 5 years and sent back twice was KByte. This third 512 stick is running great. I know my slots are ok because I used the original 64 stick in them while I was waiting for my new KByte stick to arrive. I failed all of the memory tests you can think of with the bad ram. I have also bought Kingston for my son's Hp and I just bought 2-512 sticks of corsair value for my other son's new emachines. His online gaming was poor. He did not need a video card nor an increase in dsl speed. He just needed another gig of ram to cure all his gaming woes. Even I am amazed. I thought at least I would have to buy him a video card instead of using the built in 6100 card. I installed all this ram myself and they all tested fine. KByte ram was my only problem and I just happened to live with it for 5 years before I finally decided to do something about it. Being proacitve definitely helps. Thanks for all the replies and comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users