Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Updates Unsafe???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 skypilotpete

skypilotpete

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:29 PM

I hope this question is not done to death here - I've done a forum search and can't find it already dealt with. I have just been through a long process of checking my computer for potential malware, guided by a very helpful Bleeping expert. Now that the process is complete, one of the bits of advice given was to make sure that my Windows Updates are always current. I have read a few articles recently which have said that Microsoft is increasingly releasing updates which add to Windows 7 the tracking and personal information harvesting capacity, which many people have been concerned about with Windows 10.  I do not have the technical understanding to make an informed decision about whether these concerns are paranoid, or whether I should take them seriously. It would appear to be a very onerous task to individually research every windows update, and decide whether or not to install it, given my level of technical knowledge. I would be really interested in hearing people's opinions on this (particularly the Bleeping experts), as my only real option is to decide who to trust, and then follow their advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:50 PM

Your talking about telemetry here's a list of telemetry updates to avoid:

kb:2660075 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:2670838 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:2726535 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:2876229 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:2902907 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:2952664 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:2970228 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:2976978 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:2976987
kb:2977759 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:2990214 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /

kb:3008273 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3012973 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3014460 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3015249 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3021917 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3022345 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3035583 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3044374 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3046480 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3050265 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3050267 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3065987 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3068707 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3068708 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3072318 /norestart

kb:3075249 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3075853 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3080149 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3081452 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3083710 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3083711 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
kb:3090045 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /

kb:971033 /norestart
wusa /uninstall /
Hope this helps. :)

Edited by SuperSapien64, 14 April 2016 - 09:51 PM.

#3 skypilotpete

skypilotpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:49 AM

Thanks for the reply. That gives me something to work with if I decide it is necessary. I suppose my deeper question is whether I really need to bother with this at all. On this particular computer at least I am very careful about where I go, what I do and what software I use. Is the concern purely about Microsoft tracking in the same kind of way that we all know Google does - or is it more serious and sinister than that?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:18 PM

FWIW:  Those of us who routinely install all critical updates...do so because the updates come from Microsoft and are deemed beneficial in establishing/maintaining system security/integrity.  That's the same Microsoft who developed/implemented the Windows O/S that some of us opt to use.

Logically...if Microsoft wanted be the evil demon that some portray it as...there is nothing that gives them that opportunity moreso than an install of Windows.

It makes no sense at all to me...to be paranoid about the critical updates...while being not paranoid about the initial installed O/S.

But I guess that users have the right to be inconsistent in their thought processes.

Louis

#5 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for the reply. That gives me something to work with if I decide it is necessary. I suppose my deeper question is whether I really need to bother with this at all. On this particular computer at least I am very careful about where I go, what I do and what software I use. Is the concern purely about Microsoft tracking in the same kind of way that we all know Google does - or is it more serious and sinister than that?

Well basically everyone tracks you including Firefox speaking of which Firefox also has telemetry and it can be disabled. http://www.ghacks.net/2015/11/09/how-to-disable-the-firefox-saved-telemetry-pings-and-archive-folder/

Well hamluis it's not just paranoia, telemetry can effect things like targeted ads especially on Windows 10 and I don't feel very comfortable being tracked while doing home banking or anything financial.

And speaking of Google have you ever tried DuckDuckGo or Ixquick/Startpage? All three of these search engines don't track your IP address so you wont get bubble results like with Google or Bing for example.

Edited by SuperSapien64, 15 April 2016 - 04:07 PM.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:57 AM

You could go to Windows 10 if you want to.  It has settings for turning off the telemetry.  I haven't seen anything equivalent in Windows 7.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:59 AM

You can disable the telemetry in both Window 7 and Windows 8.1.

Open Services, scroll down to Diagnostic Tracking Service and double click on it.

Under Service status: select Stop.

Under Startup type: select Disable.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users