Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compatible Operating Systems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fyshstyx

fyshstyx

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:23 PM

What other operating systems can I install on windows 98 computers?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Daydreamed

Daydreamed

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:41 PM

It depends on the specs of the computer. But, as far as I know, it should work on most, if not all, modern computers.

- Daydreamed

#3 fyshstyx

fyshstyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 05:04 PM

check my profile for specs

#4 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:46 PM

I believe the computer meets the WinXP recommended requirements (but don't expect it to run that well), and I believe Damn Small Linux (DSL) will work on that system. Anything more taxing than that will probably run very slowly or not at all.

I'd have to recommend either W2K or DSL.

It refuses to run on those IOS's because the earlier versions of cIOScorp scooped out your Wii's innards and turned them into delicious Scrambled IOS Breakfast, which confused the crap out of their installer and gave TT all sorts of bizarre errors to scratch their heads over.

Limits are temporary, the boundaries of which are to be pushed by diligent study and application of oneself to the problem at hand.

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:10 PM

Possibly TinyCore. It's a linux distro.

#6 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:33 AM

Windows- MSDOS, NT, 95, 3.1, ME (possibly but not recommended) and 2000 (possibly).
Linux- Puppy Linux and Damn Small Linux.
IBM- OS/2.
It will also probably run some older UNIX based operating systems as well.

Edited by POKEGAMERZ, 05 May 2016 - 12:34 AM.

#7 karuvally

karuvally

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:54 PM

If you just want a stable Operating System on your Windows 98 Machine, you can't go wrong with Windows 2000. It used to work flawlessly on my 450 MHz Athlon with 128 MB of RAM. Or like others suggested, try running Linux. If you have 256 MB or more RAM, you can run Debian with GUI (WindowMaker / IceWM etc.)

#8 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:19 PM

I believe the computer meets the WinXP recommended requirements (but don't expect it to run that well), and I believe Damn Small Linux (DSL) will work on that system. Anything more taxing than that will probably run very slowly or not at all.

I'd have to recommend either W2K or DSL.

Id like to add, earlier versions of puppy linux or even antix might run on it. (most likely you will have issues with antix.) But Puppy Should run fine. :)

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#9 Joshgreen

Joshgreen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:47 AM

wow. I'm curious with the reason why you would like keep windows 98 os.  :)

#10 BrianVS

BrianVS

• Validating
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:10 PM

Windows 98 is the last OS that can easily be booted into real mode. "DOS 7.1" allows access to FAT32 drives and can go up to 4GBytes of memory using a 32-bit extender. It's good for embedded systems, an alternative to FreeDOS.

Most computers that run Win98 can handle XP. Starting with service pack 1A, XP will leave Win98 in place and Dual-Boot at startup. No problem running both on a Micron Trek 2 with 256MBytes of memory, 333Mhz processor.

Edited by BrianVS, 08 September 2016 - 07:11 PM.

#11 dna9

dna9

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:30 PM

windows 2000 works well on older systems OR a linux distro.  but WHY BRO WHY?   :smash:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users