Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scam by Quicken wanna be. Am I really infected?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 jackiegreeno

jackiegreeno

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:11 PM

I was having trouble downloading transactions from my Credit Union with Quicken.  I called the bank, as this is a new account, but I had successfully downloaded two separate accounts once.  The girl was obviously just trying to help and must have done a google search.  She told me to call a Quicken Expert and actually transferred the call, but gave me the number to write down, in case the connection failed.  A technician who did not speak fluent English asked to share my screen so he could see what is going on.  He asked a bunch of questions about the program and I pointed out the One Step Summaries showing that it connected but there were no new transactions and there were.  He then proceeded to do a DOS command c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe-tree.  At the end of this long series it said koobface was found in network.  Scared the bejesus out of me about this dangerous worm and how fast it could destroy everything.  Forwarded me to a "senior" tech for repair, who reiterated about the seriousness (in a little better English than the first guy).  As soon as he said he would fix my PC for $169.99, I said "Hold on....how are you associated with *******credit union?"  He exited all the notepad notes that he had open and the command prompt box disappeared, as well.  I tried to duplicate the line, but it kept coming up an error with the "-tree".  I tried spaces and still error.  When I typed it in with just a space after the cmd.exe and a \ at the end, it worked and I sure didn't see anything about koobface.  I have run malwarebytes and MSE (both updated) and nothing found.  I also did AdWare.  How am I to be sure it isn't in there?  How the heck could he make the "koobface found in the network" come up about 6 times at the end of the DOS report?

I did a Google search for that wretched telephone number an a whole bunch of URL's came up.  800-406-3148  All were NOT quicken.  Beware.

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:10 PM

Whoever was posing as the Quicken technician spammed another forum where I am a member.  I am sure they have been just as busy spamming elsewhere too.  I would report this to the credit union immediately.  I would not spare any details about how and who put me on to this scammer either.  Who knows, this employee may even be in on it.  It is passing strange that she did a Google search to help a customer and compounded that by passing him on to a scammer as well.

After having this experience, I hope you never ever let anyone access your computer again.  I would also go around and change all my passwords immediately.  If you want to be sure that these people didn't leave any surprises on your system, you can post over in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.

Edited by Agouti, 14 April 2016 - 04:10 PM.

#3 jackiegreeno

jackiegreeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for your response.  I am not computer illiterate and honest to pete don't know how I let this happen.  It was just so danged fast.  The credit union is aware and assures me that it will be taken care of, but who knows.  The people at Quicken (REALLY at Quicken) advised me to change passwords and so did the Suncoast IT guy.  What a project.

Will cross post in the other forum.

Thanks again.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:17 PM

Posted in Malware Removal Logs here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611213/scam-by-quicken-wanna-be-am-i-really-infected/

This topic is closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users