Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Stopped Working - SOLVED

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 livpie

livpie

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:24 PM

I had multiple customers calling me this week when suddenly their keyboard stopped working.
Everything was working fine, they rebooted their computer, and after the reboot their keyboard would no longer work. Even if they tried different USB ports or different keyboards, still no luck.

After chasing my tail for a couple days, I was finally able to figure out the root cause of the problem.
A couple of years ago I had installed Hitman Pro Alert as a measure of protection against Cryptolocker.
For some reason, after two years, it is now preventing users from being able to use their keyboards.

All you need to do is uninstall the software and everything will be back to normal.
For those who have remote access, you can login remotely and uninstall it.
For those with only local access, you can login to safe mode and do it.

Hopefully this helps someone! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kahall

kahall

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:00 PM

I had the same thing happen over the last few days. It is actually caused by a pop up prompting the user to upgrade hitman. If they do the upgrade the keyboard quits working at the next reboot. When I figured out the issue I started searching for other related or similar posts anywhere on the internet and could not find any. So I purposely upgraded my hitmanpro.alert and sure enough the keyboard stopped working after I rebooted. There are a few posts in various places now. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users