Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many processes in Task Manager have *32 at the end?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 belthagor

belthagor

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:27 AM

Is this some kind of malware, or something? It's never happened to me before...

http://i.imgur.com/qMLtAXH.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:17 PM

Hi belthagor :)

On Windows 64-bit, processes that have *32 appended at the end means that they are 32-bit processes. This is to differentiate 64-bit and 32-bit processes. This doesn't mean that these processes are malicious at all. Also from a quick look, I can see that all the processes currently running on your system are also legitimate.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 belthagor

belthagor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:36 PM

b

Hi belthagor :)

On Windows 64-bit, processes that have *32 appended at the end means that they are 32-bit processes. This is to differentiate 64-bit and 32-bit processes. This doesn't mean that these processes are malicious at all. Also from a quick look, I can see that all the processes currently running on your system are also legitimate.

but.. these very same processes, with the very same 64bit windows, never showed *32 at the end before....

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:41 PM

I know that Kaspersky processes are 32-bits, same as Firefox. And Steam is 32-bit as well :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 belthagor

belthagor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:44 PM

I know that Kaspersky processes are 32-bits, same as Firefox. And Steam is 32-bit as well :)

so why is it showing *32 for the first time today? :P

edit: I posted a few topics before, with imgur pics in them, I could go search, if don't believe me..

Edited by belthagor, 14 April 2016 - 12:44 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:50 PM

If you can find these topics and the screenshots, I would like to see them.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#7 belthagor

belthagor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:30 PM

If you can find these topics and the screenshots, I would like to see them.

I looked through my few topics on this forum, and unfortunately... that tab of task manager isn't in them. However I also googled it; many other people have had this mysteriously appear... (I'm only linking this since I am not familiar with the majority of urls)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/task-manager-on-64-bit-system-suddenly-shows-many/d72dab19-c9e9-44cb-bd35-37449d0c9688

It's from some support update, and since my processes have been around before, it's probably just a minor annoyance...

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:46 PM

From as far as I can remember, Windows 7 always displayed the *32 for 32-bit processes on the computers I worked on. So if it was added after an update, it's most likely an early one, or it was already present in the SP1.

Anyhow, these doesn't mean that you are infected :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#9 belthagor

belthagor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:38 PM

From as far as I can remember, Windows 7 always displayed the *32 for 32-bit processes on the computers I worked on. So if it was added after an update, it's most likely an early one, or it was already present in the SP1.

Anyhow, these doesn't mean that you are infected :)

Thank you so much for all of your help, you may close this (if needed)

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:28 PM

No problem, you're welcome :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users