Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java not recognised in my browser, please help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 roboscar8

roboscar8

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:33 AM

I noticed recently on Teamspeak that I've got some packet loss, up to 10% at a time. This has shown itself in games as well, most notably League of Legends where my ping will be stable, yet I lose control of my character for up to five seconds at a time. I tried doing a test on pingtest.net but it says that Java doesn't seem to be installed on my browser, any idea why? I've un-installed and re-installed Java but it still says this message: "Pingtest.net requires Java for packet loss testing, but it does not appear to be installed in your browser. Click here for assistance."

Any help would be much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stutan

stutan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:47 AM

Try it in Internet Explorer and it will work not sure Chrome doesn't like it for some odd reason. Had the same problem and then I used IE.

#3 roboscar8

roboscar8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:07 AM

Try it in Internet Explorer and it will work not sure Chrome doesn't like it for some odd reason. Had the same problem and then I used IE.

Thank you! It worked! The first time I tried I test it said 0% packet loss, then the second time it says 15% so I'm not too sure what to do now to reduce this aha

#4 stutan

stutan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:59 AM

Sounds like you might be having issues with your connection you might be able to contact your isp and have them do a "line test" and check the event logs in your equipment to see if there is an issue. They can do all of that remotely. If you have another device there say smart phone or something you can try to connect to that same network and run the test there a few times to see if you get same results that would let you know if you had an issue with your computer or your service.

#5 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:58 PM

You could also try rebooting all of your network equipment.  Sometimes a good ole reboot will do the trick!

utl8q0-5.png

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:01 PM

Google dropped the support for NPAPI plug-ins on Google Chrome starting in version 45 (and Java was a NPAPI plug-in), hence why it isn't working anymore.

https://java.com/en/download/faq/chrome.xml

Only "Java Web Start" applications works, but you still need to download and launch them manually from what I could see on Netacad. Also, be aware that if you are running a 64-bit web browser, and 32-bit Java, Java won't work in the browser since it's not the same version.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 stutan

stutan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

Aura but why does the IRC Java client work for me here in Chrome? 

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:06 PM

It might be à Java Web Start app like stated above, and not the NPAPI plugin.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 stutan

stutan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:11 PM

Ah ok well I knew they quit supporting some of it so I just quit using Chrome for java all together I just happened to click on the chat and was surprised. Thanks for your expertise.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:47 PM

No problem stutan, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

#11 roboscar8

roboscar8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for the responses guys! Main issue here is that I currently live in a rented student house and we have some sort of mass connection router (like in a small business as opposed to a common household router) and can't do any of these things. I've contacted the landlord company to tell them about the issues so hopefully they'll sort something out!

#12 stutan

stutan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:13 PM

Well I am sure there are others but unless they are playing lol or something else like it that requires real time connection they might not see a problem maybe you could get some of your classmates to run a ping test on their connection to see if there is an issue with your equipment. Or like I said if you have a smart phone you can install an app on it connect to the network and see if that has issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users