Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Test Failure after installing Fedora to dual boot with Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 milter

milter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:02 AM

I had windows 7 running fine on a new thinkpad laptop for about a week. I recently tried to install Fedora. There were no problems with the installation from what I saw. When I rebooted after installation, I got a "Media Test Failure: check cable" error, and it gets stuck there.

Now I can't get into Windows or Fedora, because the startup gets stuck with this error whenever I turn it on. I tried playing with the boot order, but that didn't help. I also tried switch between UEFI and Legacy (although I have no idea what these things mean), but that didn't work either. The only thing that I can do is boot into the live version of Fedora via usb.

Could someone please help me out? It's frustrating being locked out of a new laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:25 AM

You can download the bootable diagnostics for thinkpad here. This may be a hard drive problem.

#3 milter

milter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:01 AM

I already have this on my system. I just ran the Storage Test. Everything passed except the "drive self-test" which said "not-applicable".

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:13 AM

Since your computer uses UEFI, I suppose you were installing Fedora in UEFI mode too.

#5 milter

milter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:14 AM

Since your computer uses UEFI, I suppose you were installing Fedora in UEFI mode too.

I'm not sure... I don't recall being asked about any such option...

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:39 AM

I'm not sure why the drive self test was listed as not applicable. I would download the Parted Magic iso, create a bootable flash drive, and then click Disk Health on the Parted Magic desktop. Do the short and long tests. Under the attributes tab look for any pink or red rows. You can download UBCD instead of  Parted Magic. UBCD included Parted Magic and also has a number of diagnostic tools.

UEFI is the new firmware that takes the place of the old BIOS. It requires a GPT disk to boot. 

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:44 AM

Did you read this before installing Fedora... https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface?  To quote from it...

If you intend for Fedora to co-exist with another, already-installed operating system, you should almost always follow this rule:

Important.png
The Golden Rule of UEFI
Install Fedora in the same way as the currently-installed operating system(s) is/are installed.

#8 milter

milter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:53 AM

Did you read this before installing Fedora... https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface?  To quote from it...

If you intend for Fedora to co-exist with another, already-installed operating system, you should almost always follow this rule:

Important.png
The Golden Rule of UEFI
Install Fedora in the same way as the currently-installed operating system(s) is/are installed.

Even reading that now I'm not sure what I would have done differently... I didn't use any custom options for the install. Would reinstalling over the Fedora partition help?

Edited by milter, 14 April 2016 - 11:54 AM.

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:15 PM

Assuming you made a backup before attempting to install Fedora, I would restore the backup, delete the Fedora partition(s), and start afresh.  I would make a bootable Fedora flash drive for UEFI similar to these instructions here.  I would also disable Fast Boot (if present) and Secure Boot in the UEFI before installing Fedora.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users