Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my Dell laptop experiencing overheating?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tancheeping

tancheeping

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:51 AM

I owned a Dell laptop of 3 years old. The information is as below:

Maker: Dell

Model: Inspiron 15R SE 7520

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz

RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz

HD: 1 TB 5400 rpm

GPU: AMD Radeon™ HD 7730M DDR3 2 GB

This laptop is mainly for Office, Facebook, and occasionally 3D gaming. I recently heard from my friend that we should periodically renew the thermal compound of laptop CPU to ensure performance and overall machine lifespan.

I wasn't sure if my laptop is considered to be overheating, so I download "SpeedFan 4.51" today to view my CPU temperature. Here is what I get:

1. Right after start-up, my CPU Core 0 is about 47~48'c, while Core 1 is almost always above 50'c and recorded at about 51'c. This was measured during night.

2. When during usage, with Firefox opened for Facebook, and BlueStack for whatsapp, the temperature (during noon) were around 56'c to 58'c for Core 0. while for Core 1 is about 57'c to 62'c.

3. When during gaming (RE Revelations 2), temperature for Core 0 increased to about 56 ~ 64'c, while for Core 1 is about 60 to 66'c.

What do you think about these temperature? Should I have my laptop internal components cleaned and the thermal compound renew?

***Laptop Service History****

Motherboard was replaced twice, with the last service just about few days ago. Service reason was due to faulty motherboard as a result of unstable voltage supply from power source.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stutan

stutan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:09 AM

I am not a moderator but I can tell you that if they replaced the motherboard they probably had to put thermal compound on it. The web page for your cpu says running to 105C is ok here http://ark.intel.com/products/67355/Intel-Core-i5-3210M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz-rPGA . So you are probably ok. Are you having any issues with it? Cleaning the fans and stuff is a good thing sure who ever didn't put in the new motherboard didn't clean it while they worked on it? Sorry for overstepping my bounds here but seems like a very straight forward issue.

#3 tancheeping

tancheeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:26 AM

Thank you for the reply. As per my observation (I was standing beside the Dell Engineer) and conversation with him in both services, I was informed that it is Dell practices to not replace the thermal compound during the changing of motherboard, stating it as a practice to cut down cost. Like wise, fan also was not clean during services.

Just for your information though, I can't say the same for Dell service practices in any other regions.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:30 AM

stutan, Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

You are not "overstepping" any "bounds".

There are no requirements that moderators ONLY can reply.

If you have something useful to contribute, then do so.

We have many knowledgeable members who help here. In fact, staff depends on them since there are more members than staff. As staff, we simply cannot read every single post to reply to them, which we can do ONLY if we have knowledge of the issue(s).

#5 stutan

stutan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:41 AM

Thanks Queen, tacheeping I have worked as a Dell onsite tech before I can tell you they are sent the compound (Granted it is a pain to replace) they chose not to do it. The certifications for Dell are standardized so I can't see why one wouldn't do it there but the point is moot he is gone and you are where you are at now. I can tell you if there was a problem you would know it immediately since you are up and running I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you feel up to it you can find a teardown for your computer and remove the back panel to clean the fans out or locate a local shop to just clean it and replace the thermal compound. If you decide to do it make sure you don't put a big glob on it just enough to form a thin layer between the heat sink and the cpu. Too much and it cakes up and makes a mess it is also a magnet for dust and anything else floating around. Hoped this helped you. 

#6 tancheeping

tancheeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:46 AM

Thank you for the input. Will surely consider the same. Sometime it is good to hear the story from both side.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:10 AM

Because of similar laptop-heating-up issues, each of my laptops has its own usb-powered external cooling assembly.  Many come with either one giant fan or twin fans.

Edited by RolandJS, 14 April 2016 - 02:12 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:38 AM

OP Quote:
"I was informed that it is Dell practices to not replace the thermal compound during the changing of motherboard, stating it as a practice to cut down cost. Like wise, fan also was not clean during services"
(Sorry for not using the quote feature in the response, I am on vacation on a small Caribbean island and for some reason the tool menu is not working.)

Stutan is right, what you were told is baloney. There is no way to replace a CPU on a new motherboard without using thermal compound. The computer would not boot, it would immediately shut down. However, I do believe that the "technician" (and I use the term loosely) didn't bother to clean either your heatsink or the CPU fan. I suspect that you didn't get a new motherboard either. Unless the "technician" had a power supply tester and tested each cable, he had no way to tell if the voltages were unstable or not.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 stutan

stutan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:53 AM

ranchhand_ I only say this because I have seen it in disgust. If the heatsink was fused to the cpu and they were able to remove it and reinstall it without having to separate then he would be ok but that is a shot in the dark at the most. It doesn't seem like his PC is overheating from the temps he described. But if he had any issues with it shutting down I would turn it off and keep it off til I found a person to look at it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users