Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Found some new nasty software

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stutan

stutan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

This is just a note to let you guys know I found a very nasty piece of software out there last night. It downloaded as an .iso file and when I clicked on it mounted and began wrecking havoc. Fortunately I was able to remove my usb wireless adapter and begin the process of killing things that were running and trying to remove as much as I could from add/remove programs in the control panel. It killed my ability to use IE or Chrome but I have windows 10 and Edge still worked. I was able to get the standard group of software to begin permanently removing it all Malwarebytes, JRT, SAS, ADWCleaner, Ccleaner, Hitman Pro, and did eset online scan. I have been working on computers for 20 years and never saw something that instantaneously critical before. I believe I have gotten everything but it was a panic for a minute there that is for sure. I have logs and stuff if you want to see. I just thought I would share.

On a side note I saw your issues with Spyhunter and I am sorry to say that is one of the worst programs I have ever seen. How some sites can say it is quality software with a straight face is beyond me. (Well we all know they are taking kick backs but that is besides the point). I wish you all well and thanks for all the advice I have read through here over the years. I wish I had more to offer then my well wishes but that will just have to do

Stuart 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for the heads-up.  I am curious though.  What's the name of this ISO and where did you download it?

#3 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:36 AM

I'm curious also,without a name of some sort,it doesn't help.

#4 stutan

stutan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:58 AM

I was looking for some Cisco prep test I thought it was an image of some exam questions. Yeah that was bright. As far as where I found it I do not remember and I have since flushed the history and the file from my computer. But because I am on windows 10 the right click has a mount option now and once that iso got mounted it started going to town. I uninstalled a ton of stuff from add/remove and everything I ran found something. Ugh Oh well live and learn right? Why is it that every virus punks Windows Defender like it was a inbred nephew or something? lol

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:07 AM

Yes.  That sort of thing can happen if you can't be sure of where you are downloading from or what you are downloading.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:16 AM

"...Why is it that every virus punks Windows Defender like it was a inbred nephew or something?.."

WD, like the earlier MSE. while they do their job very well, are somewhat "a gentleman," stepping aside when confronted with some things being done [accidentally in your case, intentional by others].  There are numerous freebies and pay-fors which will at the least alert you, at the most will stop you.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 stutan

stutan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:49 AM

Oh I completely understand but it seems like a 12 year old checking ID's at the bar. You here why exactly? It has become more of a notification that something is wrong then a utility to resolve problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users